Baby Mason Ban Unites Students

After senior Miguel Gonzalez kidnapped Baby Mason on  Friday, Sept. 23, his mother, junior Mary Khayel, was scared — and angry.

“Mary was walking in the hallways around second and third period and [some seniors] just took [Mason] right out of her hands and shoved him into a locker,” senior Marcus Perez said.

Mothers will go to great lengths to protect their children, and will do absolutely anything for the ones they love. When Khayel saw her baby boy appear in the senior section at the homecoming pep assembly, her maternal instinct kicked in. She sprinted across the gym, bounded up the bleachers, and dove into the red sea of seniors to rescue her baby.

Baby MasonLet’s be clear: Baby Mason is a doll. A light-skinned, blue-eyed, bald baby doll that was discovered in junior Jonell Moore‘s basement closet over a year ago.

“I will say that I have never seen a doll dancing at an assembly before. It definitely stuck out,” English teacher Lisa Rossa said.

Khayel explained that after the scene at the assembly, the deans called her house and told her parents that Baby Mason was a distraction to the learning environment — and was banned from Niles West.

Many students said they were outraged by this ruling.

“Without him, I feel the different grades will not be unified like they were when Baby Mason was around,” senior Alissa Santana said.

Baby Mason has been compared to the now-famous Harambe movement. People believe what happened to Harambe was an injustice because he was voiceless in his situation, just as Mason is voiceless in his current banning.

“Baby Mason was like Harambe for our school. He was loved by all, and he had a positive influence on people,” senior Neil O’ Shaughnessy said.

Some students believe that Baby Mason being banned was extreme considering he is just a baby doll. Students commented on how the deans are doing “the most” and will literally ban anything, even a plastic baby doll.

“Honestly, Baby Mason was a plastic baby doll that made everyone hype and have fun,” junior Joseph Park said. “He made everyone in the school connect somehow, which was cool and fun because usually in high school the grades do not really talk. He was a symbol for my class, 2018, and the deans should let us do us because after all it is just a plastic baby doll that does no harm. This is outrageous, and Mason should come back.”

The deans declined to comment on the banning of Baby Mason.

“None of the deans will speak on this topic,” dean Amy Tucker said.

The people who were closest to Baby Mason were devastated about the banning of their good friend. They feel as if Niles West has been robbed of its school spirit and sense of fun.

Senior Deanna Youkhana described Mason as a close friend.

“We went to parties, studied, and had sleepovers together. I just do not think it is right to get rid of someone who means so much to everyone and treat it as if he never existed. #FreeMason,” Youkhana said.

On the other hand, some of Khayel’s teachers were relieved that Baby Mason was banned.

“It was funny at first, but then it started distracting my class. I just thought the whole ‘Baby Mason’ thing was stupid,” social studies teacher Matthew Wiemer said.

Even the people who did not know Mason personally saw the impact he made at Niles West. He may have been at school for only a short time, but his memory and impact will stay in the hearts of many for years to come.

“It is my first year here at Niles West, and even though I am a freshman and new to the school, I could see that this plastic doll made so many people happy and come together. I thought it was cool to see how some people can find passion and beauty in the smallest little things, like a plastic baby doll. This baby made everyone united in the school and made me feel welcomed as a newcomer,” freshman Ani Muli said.

Niles West students, especially the juniors, are taking a stand and protesting for what they believe in. Students have made several tweets using the hashtag #FreeMason and are coming together to brainstorm ideas to bring their beloved Mason back.

“Mary and I have talked about ways to stand up to the injustice of Mason being banned,” junior Sandra Nahhas said. “We decided to make t-shirts to spread awareness and to convince others to join our movement. Mason has more school spirit than many students here. He is the spirit of Niles West. I’m devastated by the school’s decision to ban someone who is like a son to me. Mason was the sole cause of the strong bond between grades. Let’s all unite to free Mason!”

The majority of students at Niles West hope to bring back their Harambe of Niles West soon and ultimately #FreeMason. Khayel hopes that by students sticking together and standing up for what they believe in, Baby Mason will once again grace the halls of Niles West.

“It really saddens me that I won’t be able to bring him back to class or to anything related to Niles West because he was the definition of Niles West school spirit. We need to free Mason and allow him to come back! Free Mason!” Khayel said.