West Holds Annual Environmental Service Day

[youtube]https://youtu.be/6NAJ1qAzkeY[/youtube]

This year’s annual Environmental Service Day was be held on Saturday, Oct. 8 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. Volunteers met at Niles North, then traveled by bus to forest preserves that are part of the North Branch of the Chicago River and began doing work that involves removing trees and shrubs that do not belong in the forests.

“This was an opportunity for volunteers to learn about the work that people have been dong in our community to improve our forests for well over 30 years,” science teacher Thomas Jodelka said.

D219 is trying to make an effort to improve the health and quality of our forests in an attempt to return them to how they once were.

“I participated in it because it was an opportunity to learn more about the environment and how we can better the community we live in,” sophomore Emily Mendieta said.

Students and everyone in the D219 community were encouraged to attend the event. Many science teachers offered students extra credit to attend the event. Although this was an option, senior and vice president of student government David Hochberg attended the event because he believed it was an important cause to support.

“I want to make a positive impact on the world no matter how small it might be,” Hochberg said. “A small group of individuals can get a lot accomplished when they work together.”

Video Darsea Hajdarevic