Freshman Friday: Mckenzie Liboy

Gliding across the ice with ease, freshman Mckenzie Liboy is a natural when it comes to ice skating. At the age of five, Liboy discovered a passion for figure skating and hasn’t lost it since then.

“I started skating because one day I was watching the older, more higher leveled kids skate, and something just clicked. Right then and there I asked my grandma to sign me up,” Liboy said.

Freestyle ice skating is a discipline used to show a certain level of skill a competitor has. To pass these levels, a competitive skater performs a 1-3 minute program, and the performance is usually made up of jumps and spins. Already passing nine out of ten freestyles levels, along with many other accomplishments, Liboy has reached a certain skill level your typical freshman does not.

“I am a gold medalist in moves in the field. I’ve passed freestyle nine, I’ve landed my double axel, I placed at national showcase, and I’m going to regionals for my fourth time,” Liboy said.

Being the middle child between two brothers, Liboy is surrounded by very supportive siblings and family.

“Her drive is incredible; she wakes up everyday at 5 a.m., while most people are still asleep, ready to grind knowing that my grandma will most certainly be in her ear nagging her the whole time,” brother and senior Andres Liboy said. “She’s always competed at a higher level and works everyday to perfect her craft. She’s actually a beast, but I mean she takes after me of course.”

Liboy’s hard work and talent doesn’t go unnoticed by her friends either.

“I’ve been friends with Mckenzie for eight years now. Through those years I’ve seen her grow and mature into a wonderful person,” sophomore Gianna Pauly said. “She is always very helpful not only to me but to everyone. She supports and encourages her friends no matter what especially when it comes to their struggles. When it comes to skating, she stops at nothing to succeed.”

Liboy is also a part of Niles West’s Orchesis program, which goes hand in hand with her figure skating.

“I chose to do it [Orchesis] because one of my skating coaches did it when she was younger and a few of my close friends as well, so I decided to try it out. I have learned so many different dance moves and techniques,” Liboy said.

Liboy is not only great at managing her time and being productive, but she also finds time between her busy schedule for her friends.

“She gets along with everybody really [well] and loves to be friends and make experiences with them all the time,” sophomore Isabella Simioni said.

In the future, Liboy hopes to be a skating coach and to someday be able to make it onto shows like Disney on Ice, and other shows that require traveling around the world to perform in many different kinds of programs.