Current Events: Korea

Editor’s Note: This is the fourth in a series of nine stories surrounding current events of different cultures at Niles West as a part of International Week.

Both North and South Korea are near-dominating international news lately. From South Korea’s preparations for the Winter Olympics to North Korea claiming they have found the cure to cancer, a lot is going on in the Korean Peninsula.

South Korea is preparing for the Winter Olympics, set to take place February 9-25 in 2018 in the central Korean city of PyeongChang.

Organizers plan to make this one of the greatest games in Winter Olympic history, and to fully utilize this Olympics to reveal the newest generation of extremely talented athletes.

A lot of people do not know much about the city that will play host to the Winter Olympics, but think it is a very cool experience for South Korea.

“I think the Olympics being in South Korea is cool. It’s new and I feel like they will do something extraordinary. Even though I don’t know much about them, I think it’s very exciting,” sophomore Rita Ismail said.

Up in North Korea, dictator Kim Jong-Un claims that scientists have found the cure to some of the most dangerous and lethal diseases, including AIDS, Ebola, and even cancer.

The cure is apparently made from a “secret” mixture of ginseng and other of Earth’s rarest elements.

Most people understand the need to take everything the infamous dictator claims with a grain of salt.

“I don’t think North Korea has actually found the cure to cancer and other diseases because their leader is a mess and will make up almost anything,” Ismail said.

“As much as I hope the cure has been found, I unfortunately do not think that North Korea has found it. They tend to over exaggerate and lie about some things,” sophomore Sam Galanopoulos said.

Additionally, Kim Jong-Un’s half-brother, Kim Jong-nam, was murdered at a Malaysian airport. Many believe the move was orchestrated by North Korea, which has a long history of orchestrating kidnappings and murders of opposition.

In further controversial North Korean news, the government tested out new ballistic missiles on Saturday evening, going directly against resolutions made by the UN Security Council.  The launch, considered by many to be a provocation of Japan at a time when Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe visiting the United States and meeting with President Donald Trump, has been condemned by the international community.

With such productive infrastructure and cultural developments in South Korea, and the ever-present threats and falsehoods from the North Korean government, it will be interesting to follow further developments in the region.