2017 Spring Preview: Girls Water Polo

[youtube]https://youtu.be/f_1_9YReO3w[/youtube]

The NWN had the chance to sit down with Niles West water polo coach Mrs. Przekota and varsity players junior Melissa Corlaciu and sophomore Lexi Lee.

NWN: How is the team looking this year?

Przekota: This year we are looking pretty good. We have a tough schedule so we will see how good we are because of that schedule, but otherwise we are looking pretty good.

Lee: The team is looking good so far, we are really hard working and right now we are just reviewing some plays and strategies leading up to our first game.

NWN: Who are some key players on the varsity team?

Przekota: We have junior Melissa Corlaciu, she is gonna be one of our better players. I am looking forward to see sophomore Lizzie Bechtle in the goal; I think she is gonna be really good there. We also have sophomore Lexi Lee who is gonna be good for us this year as well.

NWN:  What are some strategies that will make your team successful this season?

Przekota: We need to definitely work together as a team, communicating and just the team aspect of it will help us be successful. I would like to have a winning record, being above five hundred, so having that record is important. I am excited to see the girls improve as individuals and as a team.

NWN: What are your team’s biggest strengths and weaknesses?

Przekota: I think our strengths would be that the girls work really hard. We have morning workouts at 5:45 and these girls work hard and never complain about having to be at school so early. Our practices are really tough because water polo is a tough sport. One of our weaknesses is that we are not a very mature team, we are very young. Some of our girls are only playing for the first time and water polo is a game that you need to play in order to learn and improve.

NWN: What are you nervous and excited about for the upcoming season?

Lee: We are nervous to play some really good teams especially because we haven’t had a lot of experience together,  but we are excited to grow as a team this year and improve.

NWN: What are some personal and team strengths and weaknesses?

Lee: As a team we have to work on communication, and I myself need to work on handling the ball better. Overall we are all very excited to play this season. We get up at 5:45 in the morning and typically no one ever complains. We are hardworking and I think we are ready for the season to start.

Make sure to watch the girls’ first game against Jones College Prep at home this Friday, March 10 at 6:00 p.m.