National Honor Society Blood Drive to be Held Friday

The annual National Honor Society blood drive will take place on Friday, March 10 during all class periods in the wrestling gym. Both students and faculty area encouraged to sign up to donate blood.

In order to donate, there are various requirements that the donors must meet. For a regular blood donation, students must be at least 17 years of age and at the very least 110lbs. For a double red cell donation, male students must be at least 5’1″ and 130lbs while female students must be a minimum of 5’5″ and 150lbs.

It is recommended that all student who meet the requirements for the blood drive donate, especially considering it could end up saving a life.

“Obviously some students can’t donate because they don’t meet the eligibility requirements, and that hurts our freshmen and sophomores intending to donate,” National Honor Society sponsor Daniel Gin said. “But, if a student does meet the requirement, it would be great if they donated because that blood could potentially be used to save a life.”

Donations have been beneficial for some of West’s students, making them eager to return the favor and donate blood.

“A lot of my friends and family have donated blood, and I’ve personally needed donations for a lot of operations that I’ve had,” senior Giovanni Palladinetti. “So, obviously, I intend to donate blood.”

Although many students intend to donate blood, some students who are willing to donate are unable to due to either medical problems that deem them illegible or a fear of needles.

“I’m not donating because I’m afraid of needles,” sophomore Melony Patel said. “If it wasn’t for this fear, I’d absolutely love to donate; it’s a bit unfortunate and annoying that I can’t donate.”

Donations will be given to the Heartland Blood Center, and donators do not have to have a donor ID. Students still looking to register can do so in the student commons.