The Backlot Bash Signals the End of Summer

By Ella Ilg, Staff Writer

The Backlot Bash marks the end of summer and the beginning of the school year. It gives students something to look forward to in the first few weeks of the school year.

According to the Bash’s website, “Skokie’s Backlot Bash pays homage to downtown Skokie’s heritage as a silent movie backlot set, by featuring modern day entertainment, as well as showing free classic or silent films.”

The entertainment headliners for this year included A Flock of Seagulls on Friday, Soul Asylum on Saturday and Tributosaurus on Sunday.

District 219 makes sure to take part in the town festival, hosting the teacher dunk tank and donating their proceeds to Dance Marathon’s charity of the year, A Better Life for Kids. On Saturday and Sunday, various teachers took turns being dunked by students, including Mr. Neumayer, Ms. Hollenburg, Ms. Domingo and Mr. Oddo.

“I’m really good friends with the founder [of A Better Life For Kids], Shelley Reese, and I teach in the district,” Middleton Elementary School Teacher Molly Domingo said. “I went to Niles North and I wanted to support the school and my friend.”

Ms. Domingo preparing herself for a dunk.

Dance Marathon members were present at the bash, promoting their charity and selling the throws.

“I’ve been involved in Dance Marathon all four years and we’ve been doing the dunk tank all four years.” senior  Janessa Pacete said. “This year’s charity is A Better Life for Kids, which is pretty much a non-profit based around helping orphans get off the streets and give them stable housing and food.” She also mentioned that some teachers were reluctant to sign up, given that the weather Saturday afternoon was rainy, windy and 68 degrees.

Something new this year was the free mechanical bull ride Friday night, presented by the Kiwanis Club, a local organization that provides children with safe, positive activities, and clubs. The club also donated an inflatable corn maze for the kids.

Saturday began with the Backlot Dash 5k, and kid’s half mile. Afterwards the Skokie Heritage Museum and log cabin opened up to visitors. People could see old photos of what Lincoln Avenue and Oakton Street used to look like, as well as the old town jail and the old firetruck. The visitors to the log cabin could try on costumes from the turn of the 20th century and wander around the tiny house’s two levels.

Soon after classic and sports cars were pulled carefully into their parking spots next to the Town Hall and the free car show opened up. A dozen makes and models were presented by their owners who had come from all over the North Shore. The Car Show has been a staple of the fair since its opening.

The Skokie Library’s theater showed “The Philadelphia Story” (1940) on Saturday and “The Public Enemy” (1931) on Sunday. The Skokie Theatre had a rummage sale of all of their old costumes and props. The Library also featured the Knuckleball Comedy Troupe as well as Devonshire Playhouse’s dance ensembles on Saturday. There was a princess and a superheroes meet and greet for the children on Sunday.

A Chicago 3D chalk artist Shaun Hays was invited back for the third year in a row and sectioned off the area next to the police headquarters for the second day of the festival. He revealed the final product Saturday afternoon, where everyone was free to stand on it and experience the optical illusion for themselves.

Despite having to wake up for school the morning after the Backlot Bash was over, it was a great back-to-school kickoff for the community.