Job Shadow Day to be Held This Thursday

Job Shadow Day to be Held This Thursday

By Ella Ilg, Staff Writer

As juniors and seniors prepare to move on from high school, several students can choose to participate in Job Shadow Days. Job shadow days are where students leave school for an all-day field trip where they shadow an employee in a field they aspire to be in. Opportunities to attend begin this Friday, Oct. 20 and continue into Oct. 26, and Nov. 7-8.

The application process started back in August and September via email, where aspiring students turned in a short essay about why job shadowing would be helpful for them and what career they would like to shadow. Forms for specific jobs are sent out the whole school to see who’s interested in certain positions such as police officers, lawyers, judges, firemen, and social workers.

“Students can apply for anything they want. If they apply for it and Ms. Edelson can find a person who’s willing to let the kid shadow, they can go.” College and Career Counselor Daniel Gin said.

“I want to participate in job shadow day because it helps me learn more about other careers and what my future might have in store.” senior Allena Healy said.

However, a good deal of students don’t know what it is, and why it’s on the school calendar.

“I’ve seen a lot of emails for specific job shadows, like firefighters or judges. I didn’t know that there were certain days, but it sounds really interesting, and I think I would participate if I knew more about it.” junior Sophia Izquierdo said.

If you’d like to participate in upcoming job shadow days, visit the College & Career Resource Center and talk with Mr. Gin or his assistant Britlee Smith. Also keep your eye out for emails from Lisa Edelson, the school’s education, and careers coordinator. It is recommended that if you’re a junior or sophomore, you start the application process right away next year, and not at the last minute, in order to secure a position.