Niles North Football Operations Reinstated

By Divitya Vakil, News Editor

The Varsity Football team at Niles North was reinstated on Oct. 2 after an investigation conducted by the Skokie Police Department. Practices have been resumed and there will be no changes to the regular season. Operations were suspended on Sept. 25 due to hazing allegations.

The investigation determined that no criminal conduct took place. However, as a result of D219’s investigation and findings, the District will be taking appropriate action to address the conduct determined to have taken place. Student confidentiality laws and requirements prevent school officials from commenting further about the specifics of the investigations or the actions taken as a result.

Principal James Edwards issued a statement to Niles North families, addressing the conclusion of the investigation.

“As soon as our school became aware of the allegations, we were determined to act in the most proactive and thorough manner possible, and we are glad that we are able to reinstate the program,” Edwards said. “We are thankful to our football parents, who offered their understanding and patience during this investigation, and to our staff members, who have supported our students throughout the week. And, most of all, I am extremely proud of our school community and especially the young men on the football  team who displayed a sense of maturity and responsibility during the investigation process.”

Superintendent Steven Isoye offered his thoughts on the situation.

“We are grateful to the Skokie Police Department for their painstaking efforts to expedite their investigation during this difficult time,” Isoye said. “I want to commend Principal Edwards and his team at Niles North for immediately taking action and for carrying out the investigation so thoroughly and fairly. The message we want everyone to take away from this is to reinforce how critical it is that each member of our school community treats every other with the respect and dignity that we all deserve.”