Debate: An Inside Look

Sophomore Alyssa Guzman and Theo Noparstak in a debate practice round after school. Photo by Nashiha Alam

It’s barely noon, and I’m sitting in my tiny University of Michigan dorm with eight other people, trying to unpack my three suitcases that are jam-packed with shoes, clothes, toiletries, and general school supplies. My roommate and I kiss our families goodbye, and mentally prepare ourselves for three weeks of debate camp. The truth is, sophomore Breana Brill and I didn’t know what to expect when our coach, Eric Oddo, told us that if we wish to pursue a successful career in debate, the camp was essential.

“For debate, it’s important to keep up with the opposing teams and to work on skills such as research and learning the upcoming year’s topic. You get to be very social with people from across the country. I can’t think of any other thing that would better prepare kids for college than debate camp,” Oddo said.

He wasn’t wrong, either. Whether the debaters attended camp for two weeks or seven weeks, they all agreed that it was an incredible learning experience. “Debate camp really grounded me as a person,” said sophomore Emma Lazar who attended the seven-week debate program.

Photo by Alyssa Guzman
Sophomore Breana Brill and junior Jonass Placitis in a debate practice round after school. Photo by Alyssa Guzman

“It was just like going to college; I had to fend for myself, live in a dorm, and get to know the campus. I felt very independent, and to me, that’s a very important life skill to have,” Lazar says.

Debate camp is an opportunity for students participating in the activity to improve their skills and prepare themselves for the upcoming season. Sophomore Theo Noparstak’s expectations for the team are especially high now that the majority of the team has gained even more experience over the summer.

“I expect every team to clear (excel to elimination rounds) at every tournament this year, and my personal goal is to make it to the Tournament of Champions at the end of the year,”  Noparstak says.

The debate team will be avidly traveling across the country this year; some of its stops include California, Iowa, Las Vegas, Kentucky, and Tennessee. As for coach Oddo, he’s looking forward to one of the local tournaments. “I would really love to do well at the Glenbrooks. We’re probably their toughest competition,” he said.

Niles West placed second in state last year, losing in the finals to Glenbrook North’s top team. Naturally, it’s important to the head coach to show competing schools just how far his team has come. With all the progress debate has made in the past year, there’s no doubt that they will continue to build on all of their previous successes.

“I want debate to continue at Niles West long after I’m gone. It should always be an option for students here,” Oddo says.