2018 Boys Gymnastics Preview

Junior+Patrick+Greiner+begins+his+routine+last+year+on+the+pommel+horse.+

Sonja Malek

Junior Patrick Greiner begins his routine last year on the pommel horse.

By Sarah Cohen, Staff Writer

With the spring season rolling around, the boys gymnastics team is ready to hit the gym and start their season for the remainder of the school year.

Head coach Adrian Batista acknowledges the youth of the team but nonetheless has faith in the abilities that the team holds.

“This year we are a young team, having only four seniors. I’m hoping that we get at least top three in the conference and that we possibly get the whole team down to state, and maybe even a handful of individuals to go down to state,” Batista said.

While practicing six days a week, each day is an opportunity for the team to focus on different skills and things they need to improve on for each of their upcoming meets.

“We’re a very competitive team. We have goals set for each individual and the team as a whole, using each week of the season to improve specific skills in order to perfect their performance while making sure that we still have fun while we do it,” Batista said.

Along with working hard in practice every day, senior and captain Brian Truong is excited to start his last season of gymnastics here at West.

“Looking back at my previous years, my favorite thing had been competing. With my last season coming up, I’m most excited to compete, have fun with my teammates, and make it as memorable as possible,” Truong said. “The team and I are motivated to go down to state individually and as a team, and my hopes for the team is to do our best at Conant [High School] and get top eight in the state.”

The boys are ready to start this season off strong while setting multiple goals for themselves in hopes of going far this spring.

“We have been working and training really hard and have set up practicing pressure sets for gymnasts that crack under pressure. Along with the dedication we have in this gym from each individual, there is always teamwork and positivity,” Truong said. “It’s amazing being a captain alongside two other great leaders. We learn so much from each other by communicating and doing our best to set the best example that we can for the underclassmen. Our goal is to have as much fun as we can while reaching our full potential as a team.”

Junior gymnast Ricky Zheng hopes to feature the talents of the team and has high expectations for what this season holds.

“I’m very excited for the upcoming season because it gives all the gymnasts an opportunity to prove ourselves through the meets and show off all of our hard work,” Zheng said. “Although we do not have all the talent that we had in the previous years, our drive and passion for the sport are still stronger than ever. I look forward to putting up respectable scores and having a run for state.”

Make sure to show your support for the boys gymnastics team at their next meet away at the Foerch Invite at Palatine High School on Fri., Mar. 16 at 6:00 p.m.