Weather Taking a Toll on Outdoor Sports

Unseasonal+weather+has+been+affecting+outdoor+sports%2C+including+girls+soccer.+Pictured+is+senior+Edit+Mackic.+

Vinnie Bellissimo

Unseasonal weather has been affecting outdoor sports, including girls soccer. Pictured is senior Edit Mackic.

By Stefan Simic, Staff Contributor

Over the past few weeks, the weather has been a bundle of confusion and surprise, constant rain, freezing temperatures, and even snow. While a majority of students were left unfazed by the crazy weather, some students were actually quite concerned, these students being athletes.

The last few weeks for many athletes have been rough, there have been canceled practices and games, taking away from their playing time and growth. Senior Diego Acosta explained how the varsity baseball team has missed out on many opportunities, due to the weather.

“We haven’t been able to go outside lately and we’ve only had hour practices, so we haven’t been able to practice hitting,” Acosta said. “We haven’t been able to do much, because you can’t really play baseball inside.”

Girls soccer has also been affected by the ever-changing weather.

“It’s really hard to stay in good shape as we should be because we can’t stay outside as long as we should,” senior Edita Mackic said. “We don’t get many opportunities to work with the ball and to build team chemistry.”

Track and field has also fell victim to the devastating weather, forcing them to practice inside a majority of the days.

“The weather has affected our practices negatively because we’ve been stuck inside and tend to get a lot of mileage outside on the streets or on the track,” sophomore Charlie Conckle said. “Practicing indoor isn’t beneficial, because we aren’t getting used to our outdoor track, instead we’re stuck indoors and aren’t using our track to our advantage.”

The past few days the weather has been improving, allowing track, soccer, and baseball to go outside for practices as well as games.