2018 Girls Varsity Swimming Preview

The+girls+swim+team+conversing+during+a+meet.+

The girls swim team conversing during a meet.

By Mateo Acosta, Staff Writer

The buzzer goes off as the girls dive into the 2018 swimming season, and they cannot be more excited.

With their numbers being smaller than preferred, the girls have to step up to the challenge that is making up for their smaller than average team by all swimming well and scoring points for their team.

“I don’t think the size of our team will affect us that much if we put all of our efforts and hard training into our swims at meets, and hopefully the results will show.” sophomore, Lian Fong said.

Varsity coach Ching Tung also notes the small size and feels the team can reap the benefits of having a smaller than average team.

“It’s a great opportunity to get as much pool time as possible, they get to work on their strengths and weaknesses and bond together. With a lot of kids you want to stretch out and make sure everyone gets heard, but with a smaller team, it makes my job a lot easier,” Tung said.

As the team progresses throughout the season and continues to cut down on times, they are looking forward to swimming against sister school, Niles North.

“We are always really excited for the Niles North meet, and last year we got the trophy back so we are planning on keeping it,” senior Lauren Brace said.

Once the season starts to reach the end and state comes around, Fong hopes to qualify for state. As a freshman last year, Fong was just short of qualifying for state in the 200 Individual Medley and the 100 freestyle.

“I plan on making state for the 200 IM and 100 Free since I’m very close to the times and it’d be great if I could since I didn’t make it last year,” Fong said.

The girls swim team will have their first swim invite on Sat., September 8.