You Know You Go to Niles West if You’ve Been to These 10 Places

By Lexi Lee, News Editor

Being a student at Niles West means you’ve at least been to one of these places throughout your high school career. See how many places you’ve been to while reading this list.

1. Village Crossing

Located in a prime Skokie location near the border of Lincolnwood, Village Crossing is a go to place for Niles West students. Senior Alex Chi said that “movies at Village Crossing” are typical ways that he passes time with friends. Bdubs, AMC, Forever Yogurt, enough said. Village seems to have a little bit for everyone to enjoy.

1.  McDonald’s on Touhy

Again, prime location right across from Village Crossing. It’s cheap, convenient, and decent enough to go to at any time of the day. You can go at 12:00 P.M. or 12:00 A.M. and still see someone from Niles West eating some ‘nugs.

1. Old Orchard Mall

The closest outdoor mall to Niles West that features the popular stores of Macy’s, Pacsun, Lululemon, and the new AMC luxury cinema. If someone is going shopping, it’s most-likely at Old Orchard.

1. Cane’s in Harwood Heights

In the past couple months this fried chicken restaurant has catapulted in popularity, making it a necessary spot on this list. Cane’s is now a common dining place for West students, even though it’s about a 20 minute drive from the school. The distance doesn’t seem detrimental to its popularity, for no matter the day of the week, a picture of Cane’s chicken fingers can be seen on someone’s Snapchat story.

1. Avalanche

Bubble tea is a very popular Taiwanese tea-based drink, commonly mixed with fruit or milk. In the states, it is more of an umbrella term that encompasses not only bubble tea, but fruit smoothies filled with tapioca balls or jellies. Around the world bubble tea is a commonality, but I’d argue that there is a higher demand for it at Niles West, with multiple locations nearby. Avalanche seems to be the most popular when it comes to taste and as a late night hang out place. Chi and his friends “like to go get bubble tea at Avalanche because it’s a chill environment and pretty spacious too.”

1. Skokie Public Library

Arguably the most popular library among the towns that feed into Niles West because of the close proximity to the school. Study rooms are always packed in the weeks leading up to finals as West students cram in the last bits of knowledge that they can. In less stressful times though, it is not uncommon to see students looking for quiet work areas in the library.

1. Starbucks on Touhy

Though there are three Starbucks on Touhy, West students will know that the one located where Jack’s restaurant used to be is the most popular one. Whether students are looking for a more lively place to ‘study’ or a place to pick up their iced coffee on a late start, Starbucks is the move.

1. XSport Fitness on Touhy

When students are looking for a way to stay in shape in the midst of bubble tea and fried chicken filled nights, XSport on Touhy is the place to be. While Lifetime Fitness is also popular, XSport is more so exclusive to West students. It’s not uncommon to see a group of students playing a quick game of basketball.

1.  North Avenue Beach

Yes, there are 26 miles of shoreline on Lake Shore Drive filled with beaches, but North Ave Beach is the one West students seem to be drawn too. Summer days and nights are filled with memories from that beach for many students who take advantage of the wonderful Lake Michigan.

1. The Rocks

…or Evanston in general. Northwestern, Joyee, Cupitol, Insomnia and more are typical hang out places in Evanston where Niles West students can be seen. Senior Tiffany Chin, like many others, enjoys going to cute cafes in Evanston like Cupitol to study because “it’s a different change of environment and the tables are really big there.” It’s typical for a trip to Evanston to begin or end with a visit at the Rocks. For those living under a rock that haven’t heard of the Rocks, the Rocks are literal rocks along the shore that people can paint however they like. Initials, proposals, and random symbols decorate the shore that people walk across.

If someone goes to Niles West, it is very likely that they have visited at least one of these places, if not all of them. Senior Anna Darville says it’s because they’re “nearby and they’re kind of just like places that everybody nearby goes to.” With the relatively convenient locations and the amount of times I’ve seen my fellow peers at them, I’d have to agree.