West to Hold Annual Theater “Coffeehouse Cabaret” Friday and Saturday

Ella Ilg

Senior Angel Thomas rehearsing for the upcoming show.

By Sidney Hines, Features Editor

The annual theater department’s fundraiser, the “Coffeehouse Cabaret”, will be held in the Black Box Theatre this Friday and Saturday at 7:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., respectively. The cabaret includes various acts which guests can enjoy with unlimited coffee and hot cocoa. All the proceeds go to the theater department to help fund trips, scholarships, and more.

The Black Box Theatre will be transformed into a coffeehouse, offering the audience a chance to sit back and enjoy the talented performers, but, there is also a silent auction- one in which guests can enter and win prizes.

Pre-sale tickets go for $15 for West students and $20 for adults. This money not only goes towards supporting the theater department- guests get a coffee mug, unlimited coffee, hot cocoa, complimentary baked goods, and the chance to win during the silent auction.

The show also offers a creative outlet for all West students, not just those involved in theater.

“I’m performing a singing act in the show and it’s entitled ‘Turning Tables’ by Adele,” senior Angel Thomas said. “People should come out and support this show because students of Niles West are incredibly talented and have put together a great show this year. This year, people are performing theatrical songs, pop songs, monologues, dances, and more. I’m most excited to see people get to put out their art who otherwise don’t get the platform to do so. I can’t wait for everyone who comes out to experience the art.”

The cabaret is a great way to support classmates, as well as Niles West theatre alum. The Friday and Saturday featured acts are completely different, so guests are encouraged to attend both.

“I’m performing a song from a musical called: ‘You Matter to Me’,” senior Leah Nano said. “People should come out because it’s really cute, you get a mug, unlimited coffee, hot chocolate, or lemonade, and a show.”

Many students go to the show as a fun way to support their classmates and also get a show filled with a variety of talents.

“I’ve been going to the coffeehouse for years because there’s a variety of performers and all of them are so talented,” senior Rita Ismayl said. “The space is set up to look exactly like a coffeehouse which really sets the mood and you get to drink coffee or hot chocolate, sit back, and enjoy the show. People should come to the show because all funding goes back to Niles West Theatre and it’s such a fun way to raise money for the program. I’m really excited for my friend Safiyah’s performance because it’s her first time putting herself out there and being on stage so I can’t wait to support her.”