Homecoming “Under the Neon Lights”

Homecoming, debatably the most popular school function of the year, will be held on October 21 weekend with the theme of “Under the Neon Lights.”

The Homecoming Assembly, early afternoon on Friday Oct. 21, will include each of the fall sports teams putting on a show along with The Hip-Hop club, Break Beats and the Poms. The parade, on Friday at 1:40 pm, will consist of most of the clubs and each cabinet with their own floats and the usual best-float competition. This year the football team will play the Evanston Wildkits at 7:00 pm Friday. The Homecoming dance will take place on Saturday at 7:30 pm in the Contest Gym.

“[Homecoming] will be so much fun…. We’re doing something new and we just want to make it fun for everyone,” said sophomore Mahnoor Bhatti, a member of the Homecoming committee.

Bhatti mentioned that in previous years, the Homecoming themes would usually be in a similar category, such as Hollywood and Black Tie Affair, which include a lot of the same types of decorations. This year, they wanted to do something different and out of the box.

The theme was chosen during the very first Homecoming Committee meeting, according to senior Christopher Ahmad, by a group of sophomores and juniors and the sponsor, Kathie Kajmowicz. Contrary to many people’s idea that the theme applies to the dress code, Ahmad said that everyone can wear whatever color they wish to wear; it does not have to be neon. Only the decorations and the lights will be neon.

Some students don’t approve of the theme.

“Neon? I hate it. There is nothing we can actually do with it,” said junior Aisha Badla.

Junior Sasha Volkodav said that the theme is not as tacky as everyone thinks it is.

“Homecoming is a classy, sophisticated dance, and it has always been like this. We are not changing that fact… Personally, I like the theme because a lot of people have some really good ideas to incorporate into the night of the dance. I know for a fact that it’ll be a night to remember,” said Volkodav.

Leading up to Homecoming is Spirit Week. Monday Oct. 17  is Pajama Day, Tuesday Oct. 18 is Celebrity Day, Wednesday Oct. 19 is Jocks vs. Nerds Day, Thursday Oct. 20 is Neon Day, and Friday Oct. 21 is Red and White Day. Student Activities Director Jessica Ogulnik has decided, along with the entire Student Government, that there will be no color wars this year because it is Homecoming and we are supposed to be united as a school against the opposing team, the Wildkits.