Girls Practice Track and Field Meet at New Trier

Alyssa Pagan

Alba Note expresses her emotion on her score on pole vault.

By Aila Durakovic, Staff Writer

The Niles West girls track and field team had their first outdoor meet at New Trier on Wed., April 3. Although this was a practice meet, the girls had a solid race with good results. The team went into the meet with a positive and determined mindset that paid off.

Senior Alba Note placed first in pole vault and was extremely excited to see the rest of her team do well.

“I think our meet yesterday went really well overall because it was our first outdoor meet and the weather was perfect so it gave everyone a chance to adjust to the outdoor track and run faster,” Note said. “Everyone performed really well yesterday. Our 4 x 400 placed second to New Trier and Tiffany Chin placed first in the 300 hurdles.”

Sophomore Amra Osmankic competed yesterday in the 100, 200, and 400. She finished the race with good results and is determined to continue improving her times.

“I was pretty nervous for all of them, but mostly the 400,” Osmankic said. “I think the entire team did really good overall, especially for the 4×400. Junior Ana Urosev was in the lead until a girl from New Trier finished right before her. We all did really good and I’m proud of the results. My goals are to drop my times, mainly for the 400, and to just continue pushing through.”

Junior and distance runner Veronika Adamczyk felt that yesterdays effort were great, but there is always room for improvement. Adamczyk believes her self performance was a good start to the season and is only going to get better from here with some extra practice.

“Personally, during my 4 x 800 I cruised a little too hard, but thankfully came back strong in my 4 x 400,” Adamczyk said. “My goals for the season are definitely to run sub 2:25 for the 800, and sub 62 for the 400. Qualifying for state would be one of the greatest rejoices I would have this year, but in order to do so I have to continuously work hard and go beyond my limits during the last weeks of practice.”

Besides self-performance, Adamczyk is proud of how her team competed yesterday and is looking forward to seeing the team progress throughout the season.

“Though yesterday was a cold, windy, and rushed meet, our future looks promising. I’m looking forward to getting closer with all the girls and coaches on the team. Additionally, I’m excited to see the team’s times drop as we continue to train,” Adamczyk said.

With the wolves already off to a great start, this may be a record-breaking season this year.