Farewell NWN

Farewell+NWN

By Divitya Vakil, Editor-in-Chief

Everything happens for a reason, right?

At least, that’s what my mom has been preaching to me ever since I can remember. I didn’t really believe it though until I got to high school.

My counselor suggested that I take broadcasting during my freshman year and I was indifferent about it. All I cared about was getting my public speaking credit out of the way. While the class was fun, I couldn’t help but think about how bustling the room next door was: the Niles West News. Without fully understanding what the class entailed, I asked my counselor to schedule me for the following year.

Starting off as a staff writer, I wrote about things no one else was willing to write about, but I soon fell in love with the craft. I gained confidence through countless interviews and was no longer afraid to investigate for the truth. News articles were my favorite and I soon moved on to News Editor and now Editor-in-Chief.

Throughout my three years on staff, I think I’ve experienced just about everything, from hate to love, on my articles. I’m still not welcome at WOW BAO, but that never stopped me from pursuing my passion. However, more than the articles, the people I’ve met along the way have truly shaped me into the person I am today, and I’m forever thankful for them for believing in me when things weren’t going my way (shoutout Lisa Rossa and Rachel Gross).

So does everything happen for a reason? I think so.

Thanks for the memories NWN. See you on the flipside.