Boys Golf Season Comes to a Close

By Ethan Carey, Sports Editor

The biggest match of the year came for the boy’s golf team last Monday, Oct. 7, 2019, when they teed off with all other schools around the conference in this year’s regional matchup.

The match was held at Winnetka Golf Course, and one golfer from the team finished 6th place, qualifying for another match for sectionals. Junior Elijah Kim has been a varsity golfer since his freshman year, and it came as no surprise to the team that after all of the hard work he put in this season, he was able to shoot an 80 and move on to sectionals.

“The match went really good yesterday, everything went straight, and even the shots that weren’t good still ended up working out. I played smart, and it paid off in the end when I finished with an 80,” Kim said.

The whole team shows nothing but support for their teammate and hope for nothing but the best for the next match.

“We’re all super proud of Elijah, who qualified for sectionals with an 80 at regionals, and it was honestly expected after having such a good season,” junior Kyle Gibson said.

Kim wasn’t the only one who played well on Monday, Gibson finished with an 80 at the end of the round just missing the sectional cut by a few strokes. With Kim being the only golfer to move on, that means its the end of the season for the rest of the golf team

“Although most of our guys didn’t play as well we wanted, we finished regionals with one Niles west golfer qualifying for sectionals and ended up in a decent spot in our regional. I felt the season went well and was very enjoyable, especially because the majority of the team is seniors,” senior Eric Dunker said.

Some of the varsity squad consists of seniors, so that means its the end of the road for their high school golf careers, and they couldn’t be more happy with how it ended.

“Everyone had their ups and downs, but we seemed to reach our playing expectations and had a great time playing this season,” Dunker said.

The younger golfers on the team still have more time to develop their skills and shoot for the sectional match and beyond in the next upcoming years.

“The match overall for us went well, a lot of ups and downs, but it was a fun end to a hard-working season all in all. It is going to be a long off-season, and I expect at least one of us to make the cut for sectionals next year,” Gibson said.

Kim will tee-off for the sectional match on Oct. 12, 2019, so if you see him in the halls before then, make sure to wish him luck and to hit ’em straight!