Coffeehouse Cabaret 2020 To Be Virtual This Year

Julie Abelson

The stage of the blackbox theatre ready for the performers of the coffeehouse cabaret 2019.

By Marija Kraljevic, Arts and Entertainment and Photo Editor

For this year’s 9th annual Coffeehouse Cabaret, the Niles West Theatre program is now accepting submissions for the show. For the last nine years, the Niles West Theatre has presented a performance fundraiser with the booster organization, The Niles West Theatre Patrons, where they transform the Black Box Theatre into a Cabaret Coffeehouse featuring students, teachers, and alumni performances.

With COVID-19 at large and school switching to online, this year’s event will look very different for everyone. In this virtual, and pre-recorded cabaret, the theatre program will release the performance through a link on their website at www.nileswesttheatre.com and offer the community some fun and fresh entertainment during this time of quarantine.

The program is looking for solo, duet, or group theatrical performances to be pre-recorded from home or from a safe, socially-distant location. Some performance ideas to consider can be a song or duet from your favorite musical, an original piece you have created, a staged reading of a poem or novel, a comedy skit, dance, or a monologue scene you wish to perform.

The only requirements that are in place include each act to be limited to five minutes or less and must be appropriate for a general audience. If you are interested in participating,  fill out this application form by Tues. Dec. 1.  You will receive an email from either Mr. Sinclair ([email protected]) or Mr. Rosenfeld ([email protected]) after 12/1/2020 with more information about how to record, deadlines, etc. All final, and edited performances will be due by Jan. 6, 2021. A link to the final show will be released the weekend of Jan. 22-24.