Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

Niles West Marching Band Soars On and Off the Field

With a steady beat from a drum, they walk out onto the football field with a regimented precision and accuracy. They’re backs are ram-rod straight, and they are poised and graceful, capes flowing in the wind. No, it’s not an identical group of Supermen and women, it’s the Niles West voluntary marching band.

This group of musicians work hard three times a week, putting hours of practice into creating the music featured during the football games of Niles West. This year, the NWMB played the music from Cirque de Solie, and they will wrap their season at Homecoming game Friday night, where the graduating seniors will be honored.

“The marching band is essentially a pep band. We create this excitement in the stands because our music is uptempo and high energy,” William Koch, director of the bands for the past 30 years said. He adds that, “Those kids provide a service. There is the also the competitive component that goes beyond the entertainment for those kids who want the challenge.”

The marching band is also competitive, traveling around to compete in competitions. They placed first in one of their most recent competitions, a feat that left the enthusiastic musicians ecstatic.

The marching band starts off the season following the end of summer and the start of a new school year with an intense week-long camp. The camp allows for the students to learn the music and choreography associated with the intricate figures that the band creates with their bodies on the field, which is harder than it looks.

Junior Joy Sherman and french horn/melophone player said, “It is really hard to play an instrument properly when you are basically fast walking across the field. It’s not easy but it’s really fun.” She went on to speak more about what else she enjoys about the marching band. “It’s fun because it’s a challenge. We all work together so we create really close bonds. It is really easy to make friends because the people are all warm and welcoming. ”

Koch, who will be retiring at the end of this year after 30 wonderful years of filling Niles West with the joys of music, says it’s too emotional to even think about how much he will miss the marching band season. “There isn’t just one thing I will miss, there are too many to count. The students are all playing so well, which makes me proud.”

Sherman also said, “A lot of people don’t take it seriously because they find it dorky and they take it for granted because it’s ‘just music’. They’re wrong.” Joy Sherman also added how much she loved the uniforms, including the fancy hat.