Behind the Scenes of Homecoming Committee

The first thing I notice about the Oakton Lobby Tuesday, Oct. 4 was the noise. It’s loud. And packed. There are about 30 girls all working on different things. Homecoming committee is diligently working for the dance which is three weeks away. There’s one separate group planning the coronation assembly, another group is finding music, then there’s one working on how the gym is going to be decorated. Math teacher Kathie Kajmowicz, the sponsor for Homecoming Committee, is rushing around finalizing plans with each group. She sits on the computer, filled with excitement to show the committee the tickets and the favors that everyone gets at the dance.

“What do you guys think of this? These are the tickets. Yes, no?” she asks and shows the girls the neon colored wristbands that are going to be the tickets for this year. The reaction is mutual as it simmers through the crowd. It’s a clear yes.

When I met with Kajmowicz that same day, she was walking around the school with the committee deciding how the decorations would look in the entrance by the security desk then she walked off to the gym to deciding how the halls would look. While she was doing that, she had a small group of junior girls (Sydney Hellwig, Lindsey Aybar, and Sabrina Dumitrean) working on the display case that showed the homecoming court. The case is decorated with neon colored crowns and neon bubble letters that read, “Homecoming Court. Underneath the Neon Lights. 10.22.2011. 7:30-10:30 pm.” It was interesting to see, the case was put together by a golden, plastic crown for a king and queen, and neon orange painted flowers.

The first thing I asked Kajmowicz about was that chosen theme. Of all the possibilities, why was Underneath the Neon Lights chosen?

“I observed that people want something different. I wanted fun and color,” she explained.

I couldn’t agree more, after last year’s infamous A Black Tie Affair…When Night Falls.

“Were you nervous to pick this year’s theme after last year’s petition?” I asked her.

“Never nervous,” she responded quickly, “More disappointed if people don’t like it.”

With the dance this Saturday, Kajmowicz is busier than ever. Along with the committee, she is working hard to get ticket sales in order, tracking down the Homecoming Court, and preparing the decorations ready for Friday night.

Every week since September, the Homecoming Committee met every Tuesday and Thursday at 3:30 in the Oakton Lobby.