Orchestra Chamber Music Recital Performs Tonight

Orchestra members practicing for the Orchestra Chamber Music Recital tonight at 6. Photo by Stephanie Swanson

Niles West Orchestra is performing their Chamber Music Recital on Wednesday, Oct. 26 at 6:00 pm in the orchestra and choir room.

Chamber music is when a small group of people play separately without a conductor. This year, orchestra instructor, Steven Katz, put his Philharmonic and Symphonic groups into two separate groups to perform their pieces. The two groups perform at the same time, but in different rooms. There are 22 ensembles playing on the recital. The two groups are going to be judged by professional musicians who are Niles West alumni.

“Chamber music is a different experience compared to when we all play together as one big orchestra. One thing in particular is that we do not have a conductor, so we have to lead ourselves. We have to really listen to other people’s parts so we can match in tempo, rhythm, and style. Can you imagine how hard it is to play your part and listen to others simultaneously?” said sophomore Tina Kim, a second-year Chamber music recital performer.

According to Kim, chamber music is even more challenging because of the fact that the students are only given about eight days to perfect their parts. Furthermore, the students have to work altogether, which means they all have to play their parts flawlessly. If one person makes a major mistake, then the entire performance falls apart. It requires a lot of teamwork and communication.

“It allows students to work as a group, participate more, and work closely with the teacher. I like it because it brings out the individual players and it improves communication skills,” said sophomore Jessie Amga.

Not only does it improve communication skills, but Chamber Music also helps the students to improve their music skills and gain more confidence in performing on their own.

“I really enjoy watching the students grow as musicians during this unit. They develop great confidence and skill.  It’s really exciting!” said Katz.