Boys’ Varsity Basketball in the Thick of It

Theodore Kossnar

Aidan Flowers crosses up a defender.

By Luca Hatzopoulos, Staff Developer and Social Media Manager

At a record of 10-8, the varsity boys’ basketball team has had a consistent season. About to play in the Maine East Holiday Tournament championship during winter break, the team was forced to pull out.

Faced with the hardship of having 11 out of their 17 players testing positive with COVID, the team was placed in quarantine period starting Dec. 30th.

Set to return on Jan. 10th, the team missed one of their most anticipated games against cross town rival, Niles North. Fortunately, the game has been rescheduled for Monday, Jan. 24 at 7 pm at Niles North.

“The break was tough. We worked hard to make it to the championship game of our holiday tournament vs. Lane Tech. Unfortunately our quarantine forced us to forfeit this game. Regardless, we are back and ready to keep our win streak rolling,” senior AJ Herrera said.

Able to resume practice on Monday, Jan. 10, the team hosted Wheeling High School Wildcats in a home game resulting in a 48-35 win with senior Aidan Flowers leading the wolves in scoring with 15 points. Senior Moses LeBlanc and Junior Pavlos Stamatopoulos each added 11 points to the board.

“It felt good to be back playing with the team again. Even though we were all a little rusty from being on a long break we were able to push through, play hard, and keep our winning streak,” A. Flowers said.

Over the Martin Luther King Jr. weekend break, the wolves participated in the Niles North MLK invite where they went 2-0 defeating Latin and Lake View. Brother duo, Aidan and Davee Flowers, led the wolves in scoring for the entire tournament going for a combined 59 points over the span of those two games.

The upcoming schedule for the wolves includes a few conference road games, competing against Glenbrook South, Maine South and New Trier at the end of the month and beginning February. With the boys feeling hot on a two game win streak, fans are definitely excited to show their support and watch them get back into the groove of things.

“I’m excited to go and watch the rest of the basketball games this season, as they’re doing pretty good right now. My cousin, [sophomore] Timmy Mathew, is also on the team so it’s fun to watch and support him as well,” senior Samuel Philips said.

Make sure to stop by the boys’ varsity basketball game at Niles North on Monday, Jan. 24th at 7 p.m. to watch them take down Niles North and take the trophy back!