Curriculum and Activities Night: Where Eighth Graders Take Their First Steps as Wolves

Luca Hatzopoulos

Members of the varsity cheerleading team pose with Big Red at the 2022 Curriculum and Activities Night.

By Alicia Malek, Academics Editor

Incoming freshmen learned about many of the activities that Niles West offers during Curriculum and Activities Night on Thursday, Feb. 25.

According to Student Activities Director Katie Odell, this night provides incoming freshmen and families with the opportunity to explore Niles West extracurricular activities and experience school spirit.

“Really, it’s their first time getting to feel like they’re future wolves,” Odell said. “I thought it went really well. Even due to the weather, I was afraid we weren’t going to have a big turnout, but we did. The vibe in the building was really good last night, and I think our eighth graders are excited to come here next year.”

Students visited tables in the main gym and field house that featured a wide range of activities.

“I think this event was very nice. It was very artistic. I saw many great tables such as Girls Who Code,” incoming freshman Madeline Vega said.

With all the tables to learn about, the experience can be a little nerve wracking.

“It’s was little bit overwhelming, but I think it’s a lot easier to learn about the clubs when people come up to you compared to looking for something, because you don’t really know what’s open to you yet,” incoming freshman Christine Vuong said.

“I think that it went very well. Some of them were timid, but they came up to tables and you could tell what they were interested in; they broke out of their shell really easily. All the clubs are outgoing and inclusive. CEC is very open to everybody so people were drawn to this one especially, ” CEC member Isabelle Padron said.

Entering a new building with hundreds of strangers can make anyone nervous, but the balance of club members encouraging students to come and the eighth graders open mindedness to a new environment lead to a successful turn out.

In the main gym, the excitement from the sports section caught the attention of incoming freshmen Emily Okon and Annaliese Pagan.

“Join Girl’s Golf! I think they were really enthusiastic with what they are promoting and I enjoyed getting yelled at. I signed up. They convinced me,” Pagan said.

Many of the students enjoyed the school spirit and were thoroughly engaged in the event.

“I felt that there were a lot of eighth graders that were open to interact with a lot of the different clubs,” PASA member Jordan Huang said.

The balance between the interested eighth graders and the promoters created a welcoming environment for them.

“It’s been really nice here. Everyone is really sweet and caring, and I’m really glad that everybody is so accepting of us,” incoming freshman Alexandra Mocarska said.