West Reacts: Opinions Vary as Niles West Moves to Mask Optional

By Celina Saba, Staff Writer

D219 families received an email Feb. 24 from administration declaring the adjustment to “recommended masks” beginning. Feb 28. 

“Our plan is to suspend mandatory masks on Monday, February 28 and recommend masks. This is aligned with the lifting of the indoor mask mandate in the state. The timeline allows for any new responsive guidance to be released and for us to prepare our schools,” superintendent Dr. Steven Isoye said. “The suspension may be temporary and subject to change based on outcomes of litigation and/or guidance from federal, state and local health departments… there will be no option for hybrid or remote learning for individuals concerned about attending school.”

Masks will still be required on school buses per CDC guidelines.

Prior to the announcement, a protest and a walkout against the mask mandate were held this month by Niles West students and community members. Organizing and participating members were pleased to hear about the upcoming transition to optional masks. 

“I am very happy that the mask mandate will be lifted next week. As someone who fought and spoke very openly about it I am happy the school has followed the rest of state in removing their mask mandate,” senior Samuel Philips said.

Others are glad the district is allowing students and staff to choose whether they mask or not. 

“I am glad Niles West decided to go mask optional. It gives people who want to wear a mask the freedom to still do so and same for the people who do not want to wear one either,” senior Melanie Brill said. “I feel this is fair to everyone and the right decision for Niles West.”

Some students are anxious about the day masks are becoming optional due to health concerns for immunocompromised family members and friends. “I honestly do not feel comfortable because I have a grandma at home and I also have a sister who has a high risk of getting COVID. I haven’t gotten it yet, and hopefully not any time soon,” senior Ria Patel said. “I don’t want to be near people who are not wearing masks and I do not want to wear an extra mask to protect myself when people can just put on a single piece of cloth.”

“I think it’s an irresponsible choice from the school because of the fact that not only is it way busier at the end of the school year, in terms of general activities, but it’s also adding another layer of stress and anxiety especially for people with immunocompromised family members or friends, older family members or multiple generations living under one roof,” junior Eva Shultz said. “It’s adding another layer of anxiety during a time that’s inherently filled with not only more activities that need a stable state in terms of case numbers in the school, but the need for less anxiety which is the exact opposite result removing masks will create.”

Many who share the same concerns believe Niles West should implement measures to support students with health concerns. 

“I think that it’s personally inconsiderate of students who have family members who are immunocompromised and students who are immunocompromised themselves and it makes people feel unsafe at school,” senior Joelle Warden said. “The school should be doing more measures to protect those students who want to be wearing their masks and potentially enforcing more social distancing measures for those who don’t want to wear their masks.”

In the announcement email, articles were attached for managing anxiety (click here and here) and “How to help your child digest mask changes and make decisions that make them feel safe and responsible.” Contact information for Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital was also included. 

Other students believe this transition is one more step closer to normalcy. 

“I agree with the lifting of the mask mandates. Many districts across the country have already gone mask optional so I believe it makes sense for us to do the same and leave masking to the discretion of the individual,” senior Brandon Thatch said. “Of course, it will be strange at first and there will be lots of tension and disagreement; however, I believe this is a step in the right direction towards a return to normalcy.” 

Concerns arose among students and teachers regarding how “mask-wearers” and “non-mask-wearers” will interact with one another.

“Regardless of what anyone chooses to do on Monday, disagreements are inevitable but respect should be prioritized. We all have our own choices to make, and with that, it is not your place to make that choice for anyone but yourself,” sophomore Kitana Forsythe said.

“It’s people’s opinions whether they can wear masks or not. I’m not offended by it. It’s my opinion to wear a mask because it keeps me safe and not sick,” freshman Sam Kinter said.

For many, the bottom line is that respect for people’s choices should be prioritized.

“I hope that it doesn’t get contentious between those who feel very passionate about wearing masks and those who feel very passionate about not wearing them,” social studies instructor Shaun Waldron said. “Respecting each other is very important.”