Holly Chleboun Taking a Shot for Victory

Junior Holly Chleboun

By Leila Meseljevic, Staff Writer

Swinging her arm up, ready to serve, junior Holly Chleboun receives the ball back and finishes the rally with a forehand. Tennis is her favorite sport to play. “I love having fun with my friends and teammates,” Chleboun said.

Chleboun started playing tennis at a young age, but then stopped playing because she wanted to take part in softball. Softball was her main sport before she started playing tennis again in sixth grade, and has been playing since then.

“The main reason why I even started tennis, and continued on with it is because of my sister. I chose it because I liked copying her, and that was the sport she was playing at the time,” Chleboun said.

She has practice Monday through Friday, and her schedule varies if Chleboun has a quad or tournament on Saturdays. Games are after school starting at 4:30 pm and are usually two hours long, if not more.

Head coach of the girl’s tennis team, Brad Wilson feels that Chleboun is a dedicated and consistent part of the team. “Holly has been a dedicated member of the varsity tennis team since the start of her sophomore year. She has made huge gains in her consistency, and being consistent has led to a few close victories already this season. We have noticed how much more strategic Holly has been this year with her shot selection, and the results have shown how effective varying her shots can be.”

Junior Nora Schmidt is one of Chleboun’s teammates and admires her work ethic. “Holly is a great teammate and a really good tennis player. She has great forehands and backhands. She is always super nice to everyone on the team,” Schmidt said.

Chleboun also loves to go shopping in her free time with her friends and sisters. “I love getting new clothes, and then being able to wear them and show them off at school.”

There are five people in Chleboun’s family including an older brother, sister, mom, dad and two dogs. Her dogs are both girls, one named Chloe and the other Lila. She loves to take both of them on walks. On the weekends when she goes to get coffee, Chleboun brings her two dogs with her.

Chleboun plans on playing tennis next year. Her coach and teammates are super excited to see how much more she can accomplish this year and are eager to make many long-lasting memories.