Maggie Burns Makes Her Mark At West

Senior Maggie Burns representing Mental Health Matters Club with club members beside her.

By Gia Bexes, Features Editor

As students get back into their extracurricular activities at Niles West, many are excited to be a part of Mental Health Matters Club. Senior Maggie Burns started the club during her junior year.  Several students are in the club, as it continues to grow with more members.

Starting a club at school is such an accomplishment for Burns, and it is something that has inspired many. “I wanted to help others that are in a similar situation with me and/or who wanted to spread awareness and learn about mental health,” Burns said.  

Mental health awareness is such an important topic and it is so incredible how students are able to come together. “I started Mental Health Matters Club because I myself have OCD, anxiety, and depression. I am very passionate towards ending the stigma and I’m also very open about my own struggles, so I thought that I should start a club. I saw the need for it, especially because the pandemic made so many people’s mental health decline,” Burns said.

For Burns, something she expresses excitement about for her senior year is club meetings. “Our first meeting this year we painted rocks and made Orbeez stress balls. Next meeting we are going to do a presentation on anxiety and make glitter jars. My plans for meetings are to have an educational presentation about a disorder and then do an activity relating to it. In May, we are planning to have a huge mental health awareness walk to raise money for the club and a cause. We are also planning on bringing in NAMI, National Alliance on Mental Health, to come in December to present to students,” Burns said. 

Burns has many goals for the club such as improving mental health for everyone, and to help educate. “There are so many misconceptions around all areas of mental health and I want to help people understand it better,” Burns said. Burns also loves finding new ideas and activities for MHM club and is tremendously passionate for it. Burns is always reaching out to her club sponsors with new ideas.“Club meetings vary. Sometimes we do presentations about disorders and then do an activity relating to it, or we work on fundraising and activities we plan to do with the school,” Burns said.

“I think mental health awareness is very important for students,” science teacher Julia Komrska said.

“After a lot of work, Maggie started Mental Health Matters Club last school year. She is so determined and has made all of her amazing ideas for the club a reality within our school. She has started mental health games within our athletic teams and has made many goodie bags to pass out during the school day. She has also been open with her own experiences, and I am sure that has helped many people in the community,” senior Maja Applequist said.

The MHM club continues to prosper, giving Burns a huge sense of accomplishment. “My proudest moment regarding the club is it becoming an official club so it is able to run for many years after I graduate. I am also so proud of the community it has become. There are so many people who have been impacted by it and seeing how it has helped people is my favorite thing in the world,” Burns said. 

Graduating this year, Burns has definitely made her mark here at West and has engaged her full spirit. As for MHM club, there are many plans for the club’s future. “Because I’m graduating this year, we are creating a junior board. This will consist of students who are interested in running the club next year. They are going to learn how meetings run and then in the spring hopefully lead some of the meetings, so they know what to do for next year,” Burns said.

“The work she is doing to spread awareness about mental health is something that has been missing at Niles West for so long. She continues to help so many and she makes our school a better place,” Applequist said.

Aside from being the founder of MHM, you can find Burns on the softball field here at West. Burns is very passionate for the sport. “I’ve been playing softball basically my whole life. I play on a club team outside of school and I am on the varsity team here at school,” Burns said.

It is no doubt that Burns is a well-rounded student, as she is also involved a lot at West. Niles West offers several different activities for students to be a part of. “I am on the board for HOSA, I’m in homeroom mentors and NHS [National Honors Society]” Burns said. 

At home, Burns loves the company of her greyhound. Outside of the school setting, Burns enjoys spending time with her family which she describes as a very sporty family. “We are always busy with practice and games,” Burns said.  Another thing she enjoys is hanging out with her friends. “With my friends, we like to go on 7-11 Slurpee runs whenever we’re free,” Burns said.

It is truly so fascinating how Burns has impacted our school and student body in such a positive light, and she continues to thrive and inspire several students, including myself. Best of luck to Maggie and to the Mental Health Matters club!