Mia Sarris

The gateway into engineering.

Intro to Engineering Design: The Gateway to Engineering Exploration

Apr 18, 2023

Niles West offers many career pathways for students to take classes. One of the many career pathways West students can explore is Manufacturing, Engineering, Technology & Trades. As students think about their futures and explore their interests, they may want to consider taking some classes within the engineering program.

One class incoming students can take is Introduction to Engineering Design (IED). Here, students can begin to explore their interests in engineering. Students will be given the opportunity to apply their foundations in math and science to the engineering design process. One highlight of the class is that students will learn how to use 3D modeling software and be able to design and print their own creations. IED is also a dual enrollment class through Oakton Community College, which is an incredible way for students to earn additional college credits.

Niles West also offers IED just for girls. This allows the unique opportunity for girls at West to feel more comfortable and confident as they explore their interests in engineering in a reassuring environment. The purpose of the class is to helpĀ female students that may feel intimidated to take STEM classes because of the heavy presence of males.

“Being in an engineering class with just female students as an introduction was really inspiring, especially because I was one of only three girls in a class with male students the next year. We need to display this class in schools so that students can see how many other females share their goals and that as they mature, they not only gain more self-assurance but also the capacity to forge a bright future,” senior Iman Amanat said.

One of the engineering teachersĀ Robert Foster, speaks on the value of taking a class in this department. “Taking an engineering class teaches you skills that you don’t traditionally get in the academic classroom. In engineering, you have to think critically and build skills like spatial awareness because in engineering you are not memorizing facts to just spit out. Our classes offer a different perspective that allows students to get a feel for what engineering in the real world is like through hands-on learning. The Niles West engineering program provides students with many different kinds of engineering to explore. Additionally, the staff has various experiences working out in corporate America which brings a different perspective beneficial to the students,” Foster said.

Even if you are not initially interested in a career in manufacturing or engineering, taking a class might surprise you. The skills you develop by taking a class can be applied in various other STEM disciplines and even areas in humanities.

Junior Sabrina Islamaj talks about how taking engineering classes have impacted her high school experience. “Since I started taking engineering classes at Niles West I’ve gotten to get a taste of different kinds of engineering, like civil engineering, architecture and computer science. Since I didn’t know what kind of engineering I was interested in, I have been able to work with really good teachers that have helped me outside of the classroom in real-world situations,” Islamaj said.

Niles West News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in