SIRS students hold up their prizes from the Positive Impact Symposium.

SIRS Students Make an Impact at the Positive Impact Symposium

Apr 21, 2023

Last week, STEM Inquiry and Research (SIRS) students competed at the Positive Impact Symposium at Wheeling High School. Students competed for a prize that was awarded to the student whose project would have the highest positive impact on the world. The prize was awarded to Niles West senior, Zahra Nathani.

Nathani’s project hypothesized a nanoparticle that would absorb three times its weight in carbon dioxide.

“I greatly enjoyed attending the Positive Impact Symposium. It is always incredible to see the projects that peers are working on, [and] seeing what issues people feel are most pressing and worth addressing. This experience made me feel particularly hopeful for what [will] come in the scientific community; everyone was so thoughtful and intelligent and dedicated to their research,” Nathani said.

SIRS teacher Parin Patel had great things to say about his students.

“It’s an incredible journey from project inception to project presentation. The students aren’t always confident at the beginning point of the journey. They are unsure if their project will work out or if they are doing everything correctly. However, after the Regional Science Fair and the Positive Impact Challenge, students feel much more validated. It’s really exciting to see the students’ growth in knowledge and confidence,” Patel said. “It was incredible to watch as the Niles West students stole the show at the IJAS Science Fair and again at the Positive Impact Challenge last week. Niles West stood out against so many other schools.”

Many students enjoy the science fairs and what they offer. “Overall, the science fair was a great experience! There were tons of cool projects I was able to go through and learn about; I was also able to teach others about my own project,” senior Vincent Wu said.

Junior Derek Kyan had a similar experience.

“The Positive Impact Symposium featured so many passionate students who were researching different topics. It was a chance to meet other like-minded thinkers from different schools and meet local professionals in the STEM field,” Kyan said.

Science fairs like these give students an opportunity to connect with other students also trying to make an impact on the world through science.

This year, because of fewer COVID regulations, SIRS students have really been able to show off their skills.

“The last few years have been tough due to COVID. It’s just really difficult to do amazing research projects when you are at home. It was great being back into the routine of Science Fairs and other research opportunities for students. The students have been amazing and seeing their growth in person has been even more amazing,” Patel said.

Niles West News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in