Students who competed in the competition are posing above.

Fashion Class Has a Successful Showing At State

Apr 24, 2023

Walking into the fashion classroom you are greeted by a group of busy students huddled over sewing machines and collaborating with peers to help design clothes used in both their annual fashion show and for local competitions. Fashion Class members shared their talents outside of the classroom recently with competitions including regionals and state.

Within this state competition, there were two different sectors these students had to compete in: fashion construction and fashion apparel display.

In the construction section, people brought outfits that they have been working on throughout the entire year, where they were then judged on their stitch work as well as how well the outfit fit the model. Many students who competed in this section received an “Outstanding,” for their work, and they all mentioned how proud they were of their accomplishments as well as the steps they took.

“I am so proud of myself and the work I did. I’m very happy with the results, and it feels very rewarding,” sophomore Toni Genobaten said.

Genobaten ended the Level 2 Fashion Construction contest with a 99/100, earning her the “Most Outstanding,” position.

The class is held during school allowing students to not only express themselves, but learn about skills such as sewing, and concepts including the principles of design and color theory. Students are able to design and create intricate pieces throughout the year with the intention of entering these competitions.

“I competed with a skirt and blouse. And although this sounds like a simple to thing to make, the process was very slow and detailed. There were also many techniques to learn from, but nonetheless, this experience was so much fun and definitely worth all the sweat. I ended with a 98/100 in Level 3 Fashion Construction which I’m very proud of, ” senior Elena Trujillo said.

“My dress took me about three months to make. First, I picked out a pattern [that] I wanted to represent summer. Next, I picked out a color which was inspired by Princess Tiana. As for the fabric, Fashion Class got it from Vogue last year so I just used that. Ever since then, I put 100% effort into the dress which ended up paying off,” junior Brianna Wellington said.

Wellington competed in Fashion Construction Level 3 and ended with an 85/100.

The other section was the Fashion Apparel Display. Unlike the construction section, you don’t have to make the outfits presented on the display; instead, you get to bring one or two outfits that you believe represent a season. Additional to the outfits, you can bring items that fit the theme.

One student who competed in this section shared their thoughts on the event.

“I was kind of disappointed by my ranking. I believed I deserved to be placed higher but regardless, I believe this is a good learning step and hopefully in the future, I will come back and do better,” junior Hai Nguyen said. Nguyen and Zarha Ibrahim got a silver 86/100 in fashion apparel display level 3.

Overall, everyone who competed in the competition did very well, they all ended with Most Outstanding (90+/100) or Silver (80+/100).

Niles West News • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in