You Are SO Invited to My Review

Still+of+the+movie+shows+the+Friedman+family+sitting+together+in+their+living+room.++
Still of the movie shows the Friedman family sitting together in their living room.

Adam Sandler is a well-known actor best known for his comedic roles and ability to blend humor with heartfelt emotions. Many of the films he’s starred in like, “Murder Mystery,” “Just Go With It” and “Hustle,” do just that. “You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah,” directed by Sammi Cohen, is no exception. 

In the film, Stacy Friedman, portrayed by Sunny Sandler, and her best friend Lydia, played by Samantha Lorraine, plan their dream Bat Mitzvahs. However, everything changes when a popular boy named Andy, played by Niles West sophomore Dylan Hoffman, and middle school drama get in the way of their friendship. The idea of a Bat Mitzvah, which the entire movie is centered around, is to signify that a young girl has reached adulthood. The film does a great job of portraying this transition for all young girls. 

Being a senior in high school, I had kind of forgotten what middle school was like. However, watching the movie brought back memories and reminded me of those unique challenges and experiences. While this is not a film I would normally pick to put on, I actually enjoyed watching it. It was funny and there were many moments where I laughed out loud. I do really love Adam Sandler’s movies, so I knew prior to watching the movie that I wouldn’t hate the film. I really enjoyed the fact that Adam Sandler’s whole family was in the movie. Both of his real-life daughters played his daughters in the movie, and his wife played Lydia’s mom. Their natural family chemistry oozes through the screen and makes it ten times more enjoyable. 

There were many moments in the film where I cringed so badly and got secondhand embarrassment, but those were the moments that added the most to the film. While it was pretty funny, there were many heartwarming scenes as well. The film showcased the challenges and excitement of growing up. I think many young girls can relate to Stacey. Her friendship breakup, her first period, mean girls and even having a big crush on someone capture those shared moments that make growing up both awkward and exciting. 

If you’re unsure about watching this film, I recommend giving it a chance. While I would say the movie is definitely directed more toward a younger audience, I think anyone could find a way to enjoy it. Whether it’s just to have a good laugh, or to reminisce about those early adolescent years, there’s something in it for everyone. I would rate this movie a 7.5/10.