Spanish Classes Go Loco For Lucha Libre

Students+are+seated+and+waiting+for+the+play+to+begin.+
Students are seated and waiting for the play to begin.

The Niles West AP Spanish and Spanish conversation classes went on a field trip to the Goodman Theatre in Chicago to watch a play called “Lucha Teotl Alliance (LTA),” on Oct. 18. After spending a few weeks learning about Lucha Libre, a form of Mexican professional wrestling, they got to experience their own lucha show in the style of a play.

The play was put together very well. Students felt like they were at a real-life luche show as the fighters were body slamming one another on a real-life fighting platform, building intensity on the stage and in the crowd. Students were given posters to hold to cheer on their favourite luchadores or fighters. The audience was taught to boo for the rudos (bad guys) and cheer for the técnicos (good guys). The luchadores had detailed costumes and wore bright masks over their heads.  There were also commentators and a referee completing the realistic lucha libre play.

The end of the show had an extreme plot twist which left the audience in shock. The unexpectancy made the show even more entertaining than it already was. Senior Victoria Gazda commentated on the show and the plot-twist ending.

“I thought the play was very interesting. The lighting and the costumes were very cool and I loved the ending, it was definitely a shocker. I learned more about lucha libre and the Aztecs,” Gazda said.

At the end of the play, the cast and crew came out to answer some questions about the preparation of the production. They revealed that the actors who played the fighters are either real life pro wrestlers or acrobats in a circus. What felt very special about the play was finding out that the performance was only LTA’s second performance as the first was in Texas. The cast felt very passionate and excited to answer the audience’s questions which reflected with the way they fed off the audience’s energy during the play.

“Students had a great time. What a good opportunity to experience culture through the arts and also it was a unique experience to have the opportunity to talk to the directors and the cast and figure out what goes behind the play. Overall it was a success and students really enjoyed it,” Spanish teacher Andrew Suarez said.

Following the play, students had about two hours to get food and be able to socialize with their peers about the play. This trip was a great experience where students got to learn more about the ancient gods and the culture of Mexican wrestling. They got to experience what they have been working on in class to visually learn about the culture.

“Today I felt like it was a very good experience. We were able to bond together as a class and multiple other classes very well and I though compared to last year where we went to the movie I am glad that we went to the play where it was able to be interactive. I am also happy that we got to go out together and eat,” senior Travis Stoia said.

All the students enjoyed the field trip and felt that the play was worth skipping school for.