Davee Flowers Reaches 1,000 Points in Basketball Career

Flowers shoots during one of his pre-game practice shootarounds.

Before the official start of the winter break, senior and varsity athlete Davee Flowers scored 1,000 points in his high school basketball career. After being a member of the varsity boys basketball team for three years, Flowers became the fifth Niles West Basketball player to accomplish this feat.

Looking through Niles West’s history, basketball has played a crucial role in bringing players together and creating a sort of community through the shared love and passion for the game. It has also produced star athletes, such as Flowers, and pushed these athletes to become the best versions of themselves.

“Reaching 1000 points [after] three years on varsity is a nice achievement to have under my belt, but I always have to think higher and improve off of it. Basketball is dynamic, and there’s always room for skill enhancements, strategic growth and pursuing higher goals to continuously elevate my performance on the court. I have a strong work ethic for the game, not only practicing in school but also out of school,” Flowers said. “As a senior, this being my last season as a Wolf, I aim to leave a lasting legacy here at West. I’m focused on pushing my limits to become a better athlete, make sure my teammates succeed, and for a memorable and successful season.”

Having Flowers as a player throughout his high school career, varsity head coach Michael Wasielewski has seen his progression as a varsity player.

Davee accomplished this goal because he dedicates more time to basketball than anyone else in the program. He does not miss practices in season and he does not miss off-season workouts, camps or summer league games. He commits to getting better outside of the season. That work leads to success. He is a reliable player who shows up every day ready to work,” Wasielewski said.

As a team player, Flowers constantly advises and aids his teammates off and on the court.

“Davee’s always been a good teammate and a good person in general. He’s always uplifting you when you’re down and always helping the team out, just making sure everybody’s working hard and doing well. He does a lot more than just score; he’s doing things on defense and constantly rebounding and assisting. When he reached 1,000 points, I don’t think anybody was surprised by it because of what a great player he is, but rather we were all just happy for him and proud of him,” senior and varsity player Auston Ryan said.

The other players to have accomplished this feat are Mark Cartwright, who was a part of the Niles West graduate class of 1970, was the very first to accomplish this feat, even earning High School All-American status and playing for the University of Maryland and Bowling Green University. Lou Atsaves, who graduated in 1985, was not only the second to reach 1,000 points, but also holds the all-time record for most points scored by a Niles West athlete in a basketball game: 45. Derek Reich, who graduated in 1999, was the third to achieve this milestone, earning All-American Honors playing at the University of Chicago. Sead Odzic, who graduated in 2005, was the most recent player to reach 1,000 points. Odzic also was a part of his conference-winning team at Niles West, then went on to play basketball for the University of Southern California and Illinois State.

With Flowers being the fifth to accomplish this feat, he believes his work ethic is what got him to make history. He will continue working towards goals he has for the remaining time he has at Niles West.

The varsity boys basketball team is playing their district rivals, Niles North, at home this upcoming Friday, Jan. 19, at 7pm.