Opinion: This Voting Season, You Should Take a Look At Third Parties

The gauntlet has been thrown, the primaries started, and for many young Americans who can vote by Nov. 5, there is a choice to be made. To some, the choice means selecting the lesser evil between the Democratic and Republican parties. While the United States does have many third parties, none seem to get enough traction to become mainstream. I feel as though more Americans should explore different party options when voting, that the two main parties don’t have to be the only way forward. Selecting our government has become too close of a metaphor to the trolley problem for my liking.

I’ve noticed among my classmates who are eligible to vote, there is an increasingly nihilistic view of America’s future and the democratic system. I feel this when turning on the news to see yet another decision made that is quite against the popular opinion of our nation. A certain anxiety arises that no matter which party you choose, your tax dollars somehow end up fighting a war you don’t support. One must ask, could they at least send a postcard?

Between the two unsatisfactory primary parties, the 2024 election is predicted to see a dramatic uptick in third-party votes. Arguably, this is a good thing. Many Americans are beginning to traverse parties previously thought of as a ‘wasted vote,’ and beliefs are shifting. In my opinion, this is the start of a much-needed change in our democracy.

Exploring your alternative voting options is being an informed voter. The list of U.S. political parties is long but third parties tend to cover issues the two main parties are neutral about, which is good if you feel strongly on topics that are too un-profitable for the government to care about. Wherever you are on the political spectrum, there’s a third party for your beliefs that is worth researching.

A common misconception is that third parties aren’t some distant organization reserved for people with ‘Go Recycle’ bumper stickers or those who make moon-shine while coddling their Remington-870. There are plenty of popular figures who have encouraged third-party voting from Susan Sarandon to Raven Symone. Even George Washington warned of the dangers that come with having two popular opposing parties in our country.

Whether you decide to vote for a third party or not, I believe that staying current on your party options as a voter is essential to making an informed choice that feels right to you.