How to Stay “Locked In” During the Final Stretch

Tables+in+the+back+of+the+library+allow+students+to+sit+in+groups.+
Syeda Fatima
Tables in the back of the library allow students to sit in groups.

As we come off of spring break, we enter the final stretch of the year. This time period, from the end of spring break till the end of the year, often flies by for many. With the weather getting warmer, the days getting longer and only a few more weeks of school left, many students begin to lose motivation for school. However, this final stretch is the most crucial time for students to get their grades up before finals. While it can be hard to balance school with all the exciting events around the school, here are a few tips to manage and lock in for the final stretch.

Make sure you start off strong! It can be hard to get back on the grind once you come back from a break; however, if you start off low, then it will be harder to bring up your grades closer towards the end of the year. It’s better to start off strong by making sure you are turning in all your assignments with the best effort possible so that you have good grades. This way you have room to fall back especially during finals when most people end up having borderline grades.

Use your time at school to get your work, especially during your free periods. The library at Niles West has individual and group spaces for students to get their work done. Take advantage of the Lit Center which is open before school and all periods throughout the day for any additional help you might need. There are student tutors and teachers available to help you out.

For most students, AP (Advanced Placement) mock exam and AP exam season begins during this time period. This can be a very stressful time for many students especially if they are enrolled in multiple AP classes. Instead of waiting at the last minute to study a year long course, it’s better to space out all the units in the upcoming weeks. Spend some time each day to review all the content so that it’s not overwhelming. Do as many practice problems and get extra help from your teacher if you need it.

Aside from AP exam, juniors will take their SAT and freshman and sophomore will take their PSAT this month. The best way to prepare for these tests is to do the Khan Academy practice SAT test. There are numerous practice problems students can work on for all the sections. Students could also take advantage of the PSAT practice booklet which contains many similar problems to the PSAT and SAT. There are also many YouTube videos on how to tackle specific problems students may encounter on their test. Freshmen and sophomores should begin planning ways to study each day including over the summer to really prepare for their SAT during their junior year.

While there are many important tests and exams coming up during this final stretch, it’s equally important for students to take care of their mental health. Make sure you occasionally take healthy breaks and refresh your mind. Especially for seniors these are the last few weeks of high school, so enjoy all the senior festivities but don’t let senioritis take over and ruin this final stretch. You got this!