Middle School Orchestras Experience the U of I Orchestra Clinic

Last Wednesday, Niles West hosted the University of Illinois Orchestra clinic. Middle schools from all over the state of Illinois gather at West for this great opportunity.

“Junior high schools come to Niles West and play for a panel of U of I conductors. After this, one of the clinicians goes with the junior high school and helps them with various things like technique, playing style, intonation, and many other things,” said orchestra board librarian and senior Dee Lam. “As for me, I help lead the junior high schools to the warm up area, collect the CD’s that the clinicians make comments on, and collect the video recording of the performance to put into their envelope so the junior high schools can take them. In addition to that, I also help with guiding lost parents who need help.”

Lee isn’t the only one with responsibility, though. Other board members are responsible for making video recordings, guiding the junior high students from the warm up room to the stage, and from the stage to the clinic room.

“A lot of work is required from every member to help make many things run smoothly,”  Lam said.

The event begins at 8 in the morning and continues until about 5 in the evening, once every school has performed and has had the chance to be mentored by a judge.

The feedback the middle school students receive is unforgettable. Not only will it help them with future performances, but it will impact their individual playing skills as well.