Stop the Flirtlocker(ing)

Hey Guys,

This one is not just for the freshmen.

Just a few days ago, I had a few people come up to me asking if I’ve checked out this new website called Flirtlocker. I honestly had no idea what that was, and at first I actually thought it was a dating website. I asked what it was, and they told me it was a site where most high schools have their own page. Of course, Niles West did. It’s basically a website where someone can talk trash about anything and anyone anonymously. Sort of like a Formspring for the school–and if you don’t know what Formspring is, it’s basically a page where people can ask you questions by name or anonymously.

Back to the story, I go home and look at this Flirt Locker website, and I am shocked. Not only am I shocked, but I’m disappointed. I mean we’re all 14 through 18 in this school, and people are saying rude and just mean comments about girls and some boys. Aren’t we all in high school? Because this website makes us all look like immature preschoolers. No, actually preschoolers aren’t as horrible as some of the comments were. That page represents our school in the worst way–and, on top of that, it makes the girls and guys mentioned on that site look bad. Why do we want to make Niles West look like a dangerous environment for any student?

This goes for any site like this. There is absolutely no point in saying the kind of rude stuff that I have seen on the Internet. Everyone is a person, and I don’t see any pleasure in crushing them by cyber-bullying. People have hearts and those few words that you type can break them. Why would anyone think that’s okay to purposefully hurt someone? We all as high school students have bundles of stress from homework and sports and other activities, and we don’t need to build bullying onto that stress. We all know what it’s like to be put under stress, why do you want to add to it?

That one comment on Flirtlocker, Formspring–or even on Facebook–could really hurt someone. So, think before you type, because those quick fingers of yours could quickly take a person’s life.

Stop the hate and spread the love,

Breana Brill