Tips to Surviving the ACT

Editor’s Note: This article was orginally published on Friday, April 15.

Well, juniors, it’s almost time for us to take the ACT.  Some of us have already taken it, but for some of us, the first time we take it will be Wednesday, April 27 here in school.  I just took the ACT for the first time, so for those of you who haven’t taken it yet, here are a few tips that I have to help you prepare.  For those of you who already have taken it, comment with any tips you have below!

1. Sleep.  I know it sounds totally cliché to tell you to sleep well the night before the ACT, but it actually helps.  I didn’t think that sleeping enough was such a big deal, but when I woke up and just wanted to go back to sleep, it didn’t help that I had to go sit through a four hour boring test and actually focus on it.

2. Eat breakfast and bring a snack.  I normally don’t eat breakfast except on the weekends (not a good habit, guys!), but my mom convinced me to grab something before the test and it really helped!  I even brought a snack to eat after between taking the ACT and going to work.  It’s probably a better idea to bring one for the break, but that’s up to you.

3. Don’t let yourself space out. I spaced out a lot during the ACT, which was a huge mistake.  I ended up wasting a bunch of time and rushing to finish or not even finishing the test I was working on.

4. Time yourself.  Between spacing out and being tired, I got off track really easily.  Before the test begins, pay attention to how many problems there are and how many time.  Then, decide what time you should be at which problem.  That way, you know if you need to speed up or if you have time to relax.

5. Come back to the problems that are timely, even if you know how to solve it.  There were some problems that I knew how to solve, but they took up a lot of time.  I think it’s best if you skip past those problems if you know how to answer other ones.  That way, you don’t waste time on one problem when you could answer another three.

6. Don’t panic if you don’t know it, just calm down and try to figure it out.  When you’re taking a timed test like the ACT, there isn’t much time to freak out because you don’t know something.  Instead of focusing on how you hate science and don’t know what the passages are explaining, just calm down, focus, and read.  Chances are that you know more than you think you do.

7. Pick a letter for guessing…there’s no penalty for guessing and picking one letter to guess each time gives you a better chance of getting it all right.

8. Basically, don’t stress over it.  You can retake the ACT multiple times and colleges will take your top scores, so don’t worry too much.

Most importantly, good luck!