OPA! My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3

The+premiere+of+My+Big+Fat+Greek+Wedding+3+at+AMC+Theaters.+
The premiere of “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3” at AMC Theaters.

For those of you who have been keeping up with the iconic “My Big Fat Greek Wedding,” series since its first release in 2002, you may be eager to watch the newest “My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3,” which came out on Sept. 8. The plot of this third movie focused on Toula Portokalos, played by director Nia Vardalos, and the family reuniting with her late father’s childhood best friends back in his village through a “reunion party”. If I’m being honest, this plot wasn’t engaging and was lacking in comedy.

Although the movies are usually known for their comedic tone, the comedy in this movie did not match the level or come close to the comedy of the previous two movies, honestly, the jokes were just cringe. I did laugh a couple of times, but it felt forced. The excessive scenes of Nick shaving got annoying, though I did laugh the first few times. I also think that there could have been way more comedy in the airport or on the airplane scenes. For example, a big fat Greek family going through security would be hilarious. Imagine a character like Aunt Voula, played by Andrea Martin, being stopped by security because she had an evil eye in her purse, or even some other Greek cultural object, or even food. Her reaction would’ve been funny and would’ve made the audience laugh. There also could’ve been funnier scenes on the airplane. It just didn’t feel “Greek enough” to me, I mean I could’ve thought of more Greek jokes to incorporate. Another thing I didn’t like about this movie was that half of the big fat Greek family was shown in the movie, and they only had like three minutes of screen time.

I will say, there were parts where I laughed a lot in the movie, but as for the plot, it was honestly boring compared to the previous movies. I understood the “returning to your roots,” concept and going back to Greece to visit Toula’s father Gus’s village, but it didn’t have the same feel as the first two movies. Not to mention that the recent passing of actor Michael Constantine completely changed the film. It will never be the same without his character. The fact that in the movie, Toula and her brother Nick, played by Louis Mandylor, who is one of my favorite characters, bring their father Gus’s ashes to the family Greece trip is not something Greeks do. Greeks don’t cremate their loved ones, instead, we have a wake, funeral and burial, so this aspect was unusual because it doesn’t really comply with Greek culture and religion.

There were some parts of the movie that I loved and appreciated. To begin, the cinematography was amazing. As someone who has been in a village in Greece, the movie did a good job of portraying it visually, and it really reminded me of my grandfather’s village. However, I think it would have been better if the actors talked in Greek, like the village woman in the first scene in the village. I know people may not understand, but that’s what subtitles are for. It would make more sense for the old woman from the Greek village to speak Greek because no one in the village speaks English.

As a Greek myself, I will say that the first two movies are two of my all-time favorite movies to ever exist. The romantic comedy of 2002, the first “My Big Fat Greek Wedding,” was a big fat Greek hit. The sequel was also full of comedy and had a great plot. However, after going into the movie theater with high hopes for the third movie, I don’t know if I can say that my hopes were fulfilled.

Overall, I expected more and was quite disappointed. I was sad when it was over because I wanted more from it after waiting months and being excited to watch it. I would watch it again just for a laugh, but I would watch the first or second movie again before watching the third again.