Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

Mosque Burned Down in Belgium, Niles West Reacts

Sophomore Hafsa Wahid on Islam.

Muslims all around the world are labeled as violent people who have no moral values. Osama bin Laden and all other Muslim terrorists are seen as the representers of the peaceful and loving religion, Islam. When on the other side, the real representer of Islam is the 47-year old man who was peacefully leading prayers in a mosque at Brussels.

According to Shafaqna, on March 12, 2012 an Islamic mosque in Brussels, Al-Imam al-Reda Mosque,  was burned down and destroyed, which resulted in the death of the 47-year old “imam,” or Islamic priest, named Sheikh Abdullah Dadou. Dadou died of smoke inhalation after the mosque was set on fire. Along with that, another man was injured.

The mosque was a Shia Muslim mosque. After this event many people expressed anger and grief at this horrifying act of terrorism. At this point, I would also like to express my grief. I am a Muslim who feels insecure in a world that believes that ALL Muslims are like Bin Laden. If Islam prohibits murder, then why is the religion being attacked?

I understand the hatred many people feel toward terrorists, but why are the people who are against these things being attacked? I really don’t know why, but I do hope that this world will one day understand that Muslims are peaceful people who simply wish to coexist with the other religions.

Many students, Muslims and non-Muslims, expressed their feelings about this horrifying act of violence.

Sophomore Armeen Sayani says that these types of actions are unacceptable and must be stopped.

“I’m not surprised. There are people everywhere who can’t accept other people’s religion. Ignorance consumes their minds and they feel the need to burn down other peoples’ houses of worship in order to make a statement. I think it’s unacceptable and needs to be stopped,” said Sayani.

Sophomore Amna Haider is also not surprised.

“I’m not surprised there’s a lot of hate towards Muslims and I think that’s never going to go away. People are willing to hurt others because of their hatred, and they think that by doing something extreme like burning down a mosque, which is sacred for others, will help them,” said Haider.

Sophomore Sam Hernandez believes that this act is ridiculous as well.

“Well that [the burning of the mosque] is  ridiculous. How can these group of people do such a thing? I’m pretty sure these people are Christians, and if so how can they even think this stuff is right!?” said Hernandez.

I  believe these attackers cannot be Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, or people of any faith because all faiths teach respect and peace.

“It’s those type of people [the attackers]  that use fear to terrorize innocent people that have different beliefs, that make me sick,” said Hernandez.

Junior Lyba Zia says that these events inspire people to work towards a more accepting world.

“Although individuals like this man try to spread their beliefs through violence and commit hate crimes, it can be seen that events such as this one inspire other people to push towards a more accepting world. It’s nice to see that many people recognize the harm done by such incidents and try to prevent them by spreading the ideas of ‘coexistence’,” said Zia.

Students and activities director Jessica Ogulnik believes this is a hate crime.

“I think that this is a clear hate crime.  Any hate crime is an appalling act of ignorance.  I feel as though the burning of any holy space regardless of religion is an unacceptable hate crime.  Hate stems from ignorance and a lack of understanding of another culture or religion,” said Ogulnik.