Being Republican: My Take on the 2012 Elections

Senior Justin Sia on Obama’s re-election

On Tuesday, Nov. 6 at around 10:15 CST, CBS projected that Barack Obama would become a two-term president.  As for me, I made the same projection around a month ago. The subdued feelings were just as strong as the millions of people across the country who thought Mitt Romney would be the next president of the United States and would bring about a change that Obama cannot.

This past weekend, it became obvious that there was no way Obama would lose the electoral vote because of the simple numbers game. Watching the results come in Tuesday night obviously confirmed my suspicions, but seeing the situation happen in real time was really disheartening. With each swing state turning blue on the magic wall on CNN, the expectation of a Republican presidency was reaching the end of its rope. The morale of Republicans around the country was wearing thin this past election night.

We will have to wait four more years till a conservative plan could be enacted in the White House; another four years of failed plans, false promises, and reckless spending.

My prediction has been, for about a month now, that Obama would take the electoral college and Mitt Romney would take the popular vote (meaning he would literally have the most votes in the country).  I was proved wrong regarding the popular vote, with Obama leading by three million votes. Regardless of all of this, what can be said with certainty is that this election was a close one. America could barely decide on who would be the real savior of all of our problems between the two candidates.

Dan Poskus, the NWN’s liberal columnist, told me bluntly that the popular vote doesn’t matter. While the electoral count is quite clear in the results, the popular vote between the two candidates is very close. This is an evident example of a country split in two. You have one half of the country terrified of a future with less government and another half who can’t tolerate a national debt higher than it already is. Half the country doesn’t support Obama, he’ll see many blockades in his path to “continue” to a better America. The final numbers in this vote will tell a story of a country divided on how to bring America back to its former glory, which seems more impossible every passing day.

However, it’s time for both sides to move on and grow up. While much of half of the country is still reeling from election results, there is no use in trying to change our president now. Still, this is not the time to be bashing a candidate and his supporters. I’ve had students come up to me and bash me for my political beliefs when they don’t even understand what Mitt Romney stands for.

There’s a lot of ignorance floating around among voters, particularly shown to me at Niles West High School. It’s great to be involved, we are the future after all, but there’s no use in voting if you don’t know what you’re voting for. If you decide to vote or get involved in politics, PLEASE hear me out. Nothing is more dangerous and irritating than spreading around incorrect, blown-up rumors. Future voters, just stick to the facts; that’s what will really get you a just vote. Also, stay informed of both political viewpoints on both sides. There’s always two sides of the story, and your vote should never be solidified if you’re not aware of the other side’s views.

As I’ve previously said, I am not a committed Romney supporter; in fact, Ron Paul is my hero, but I’m a Republican at heart. Now, I know that now is the most crucial time for America to come together behind Barack Obama. With the House of Representatives remaining red, the Senate remaining blue, and a population so split, this country has a massive challenge of working together ahead of itself. I call for the removal of the theoretical “aisle” dividing the two parties so that everyone can come together to truly work for a better America. The time to take action is now.  We can’t move “Forward” to prosperity if we don’t move together.