The Niles West Sports Talk Podcast S2 Ep 15  Featuring Mr. Stern

Getting Old, Nothing New, Something Borrowed Makes Me Blue

Something Borrowed MovieOh, come on! Yet another romantic comedy chick-flick is made. A plot that is so generic that anyone could guess what will happen. That’s what you will get if you see the new movie Something Borrowed. If you insist on seeing this promisingly disappointing movie, here are a few things you should know:

This is a very typical storyline, very alike to My Best Friend’s Wedding. Rachel (Ginnifer Goodwin) goes to her own surprise 30th birthday party, thrown by her best friend Darcy (Kate Hudson), who is clearly very self-absorbed . There Darcy gives the story of Rachel’s life, but manages to incorporate herself into every part. She gets drunk and and is driven home, but her fiancee Dex (Colin Egglesfield), who is also Rachel’s close friend from law school, returns. He and Rachel get a few drinks, she tells him she had a huge crush on him in college, and yada yada yada, they wake up together in bed the next morning.

And so ensues the internal war of Rachel. Should she tell Darcy that she’s in love with her fiancee and slept with him, or should she keep her mouth shut and try to preserve her lifelong friendship but lose the guy of her dreams? Rachel’s friend Ethan finds out what happened and urges her to come clean about everything, and to stop “letting Darcy win.”

One enjoyable scene involved Rachel, Darcy, Dex, and Ethan playing badminton when Ethan suddenly gets the idea to reveal everything to Darcy. I admit to having a hysterical fit of laughter here. If the rest of the movie was like that scene, it would have made it so much more appealing to lovers of comedy.

Goodwin (A Single Man, Walk the Line) is just adequate; nothing remarkable about her performance, so I was disappointed with the quality of this character in comparison to her other roles. Hudson (How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Bridezillas) plays her typical care-free party girl role, so nothing new here. I didn’t think it was possible but she’s even more bizarre and exaggerated than usual. Maybe it was good for the role of Darcy, but I, for one, don’t want to see Hudson dancing on a bar drinking Purple Nurples. Egglesfield, whose only acting experiences consists of a couple teen slasher films and soap operas, contributed nothing more than a flash of overly-whitened teeth and a wink to the movie. Egglesfield (sounds like something you’d name an oompa-loompa) did absolutely nothing to convince me that he was a hardworking law student who was really sweet and sensitive and wanted to be a teacher. Aw…NOT.

John Krasinski (License to Wed, Jim from The Office), was both hilarious and adorable as Ethan. He almost completely reprised his role in The Office, looking at the camera, being sarcastic, cracking jokes at everything; he could just stand there, with nothing but his Dumbo-ears and his potato nose, and make your sides hurt from laughing. Quite honestly, Krasinksi’s acting pretty much made the whole movie. In the smaller roles were Steve Howey as Marcus and Ashley Williams as Claire. Marcus is a narcissistic slacker who only cares about women. Claire is a fairly psychotic woman who becomes obsessed with Ethan. These two completed their roles as totally abnormal people pretty well.

Something Borrowed is only director Luke Greenfield’s third big-screen movie, with a string of TV movies behind him. His other two movies, Animal and The Girl Next Door, were different from other comedies, but they weren’t that great.

There were several things that bothered me about Something Borrowed. For one thing, there were so many unnecessary plot twists. Maybe it worked in the book it was based on, but it just didn’t flow in the movie version. Also, the ending is messy. None of the story lines are completely tied up and they leave you wondering with no clue of the outcome. Greenfield needs to understand that movies don’t have to perfectly follow the book because I was just left with a feeling of emptiness. It was a little more realistic than everything ending all happy and bow-wrapped, but the concept wasn’t carried through.

Something Borrowed is as repetitive as a romantic comedy could be. The story is sloppy, the acting is ridiculously generic, and you just want to yell at the screen because the characters are being unbelievably stupid. The entire time, the other audience members slumped like potatoes through the whole thing (except for the parts with Krasinski that made everyone crack up), so I know it wasn’t just me. Save yourself a few bucks and don’t waste your time with this.