Dune: Part Two Review

Dune%3A+Part+Two+actors+pose+for+a+picture+at+a+movie+premiere.+
“Dune: Part Two” actors pose for a picture at a movie premiere.

To direct a sequel to a three-and-a-half-hour movie based on the massive hit book “Dune,” is no easy task, and in director Denis Villeneuve’s movie, it shows. Although many on the internet will say that this movie is an epic masterpiece, and I can even admit that some parts of this movie display Villeneueve’s talent, overall as a story, it is not executed effortlessly.

For some background, the “Dune” movie franchise is based on the book of the same name, which follows a young Paul Atreides, played by Timothée Chalamlet,  whose family is in control of the planet Arrakis, the source of the very valuable spice. “Dune: Part Two” follows Paul who with the help of the Fremen, who are the native people of Arrakis, seeks revenge for what happened to his family. As evident throughout time, this story is extremely hard to understand and follow, so it is no easy task to make an adequate and comprehensible adaptation out of a sci-fi novel.

Overall, I have many mixed opinions about this movie after I have had time to sit with it, so let’s start with the positives. First, movies like this make Villeneuve’s style shine. As evident through his past films, he clearly loves the sci-fi genre and succeeds and thrives in it. There is no doubt that this movie is beautiful, and what he has accomplished with this saga is incredible. Visually, the movie is amazing, and looks exactly like how a sci-fi film should. This movie is also a great sequel to the first one. Even though “Dune” was more of a setup to the second part, I was a big fan of the first film and thought that this was a great follow-up to the first one.

Now onto what I didn’t like. Villeneuve said in an interview from Variety earlier this year that he hated dialogue and is frankly not interested in it, which if it wasn’t evident before, then it sure is now with this film. This movie has little dialogue, which sometimes can be a weak point in the movie. I can understand that sometimes when you’re watching a movie it’s better to show what’s going on instead of tell, and how not everything should be spelled out for you. But for the average person who is not particularly interested nor knowledgeable about sci-fi and the “Dune” franchise, it can definitely be hard to understand. In the first movie, I didn’t think of it to be that big of an issue, but I found it to be an issue with this movie, to the point where I started to get bored and confused.

In general, I think that if you are a fan of sci-fi, or just “Dune” you will love this. But if you aren’t all that interested in the franchise or sci-fi, and are just there to see Chalamet and Zendaya’s amazing performances, then I’d say you might want to skip out on this one.