Freshman Friday: Jeremiah Moore

Freshman Friday: Jeremiah Moore

“Singing was, like, the second thing I learned how to do after talk and it’s something that’s been part of my life for over a decade,” freshman Jeremiah Moore said.

Moore started singing at the age of three when he was first introduced to rap music by his mom. As Moore grew older, he took a detour from rap music because it really wasn’t his style. Moore wanted to explore more genres of music and find a way to express himself.

“It lets me be who I am. If I can’t express my feelings in words or in actions, I can express them through the lyrics that I write and the songs that I sing because I can connect to them emotionally and mentally,” Moore said.

Moore was a part of Masters Choir which is an a-capella group at Lincoln Jr. High. He has done gigs in Chicago, Milwaukee, Des Plaines, Wilmette, and Wisconsin. He’s also performed shows in Cologne and Hamburg, both located in Germany, which Moore visited over the summer.

Moore says stage presence is the key to a good performer. But, despite all the shows and singing groups Moore has been in, he still has his insecurities before performing.

“It’s hard sometimes because you don’t know if you’re good enough or if you have enough stamina or confidence or charisma. You don’t know if you have the voice for it,” Moore said.

Singing helps Moore determine who he really is not only as an artist, but also as a person.

“Singing is something that helps me open up doors for myself. I still find out new things about myself from singing. It’s crazy because you would never think that you could find out so much about yourself from just music,” Moore said.

Moore is currently in Men’s and Chamber’s Choir for choir director Amy Branahl. He also got a callback for a-cappella groups Echo Effect and Guy & Dolls, but was unable to join because he is moving next month.

“Everything was so crazy and I got happy because even though I’m moving, I got callbacks for not only one, but for both groups. It was such an honor,” Moore said.

Although Moore usually performs with groups, he plans on pursuing a solo act career with the help of some well known televised singing shows.

“I want to learn how to control my own voice. I want to be able to showcase who I am, that I can make something big out of myself. I’m trying out for America’s Got Talent and Rising Star. I’ve put in my applications and gotten a couple emails back from both of the shows,”  Moore said.

He’s looking forward to the America’s Got Talent audition in January and is busy preparing for his audition.

“You get to work with lots of different people with different talents and people who connect with you on that intellectual level. You get to realize that you’re not the only one who has this talent and you’re not the only one who wants to make something big out of what they already have and can do,” Moore said.

Not only is he vocally talented, he also writes his own music. He plays the cello, guitar, piano, and he’s teaching himself to play the ukulele.

Music isn’t the only thing Moore surrounds himself with. He’s a dancer, master archer and second degree black belt in taekwondo and kung fu. He’s also a very passionate actor and has been in over 24 plays.

“When I’m acting, I feel like I can become a new person through a character and indulge into a new ego,” Moore said.

He’s been acting since he was five years old and has been in plays all over the states and one in Germany because his family is “all over the place.”

Moore is confident in his dream to become a performer and refuses to back down no matter what challenges he might have to face in the distant future.

“I feel like that’s why I’m here. The fine arts is the reason I am here. Acting, singing, and dancing is my life and I will never give it up no matter what struggles or trials that’ll come in between,” Moore said.