Freshman Friday: Eric Gassel

Freshman Eric Gassel has the rare heart, talent, and determination that all coaches look for. He puts all his effort in school, on the field and off the field. Maybe these characteristics have led him to the starting quarterback for the freshman football team. The NWN sat down with Gassel and talked about his first year as a Wolf.

NWN: What does the word competition mean to you?

Gassel: Something to prove who wants it more or to see who is better. If someone is even with one another, it will be the person who put the best effort in and who has the best determination that will show who is the superior.

NWN: Why is football important to you?

Gassel: I just think it’s really fun sport. I love watching football as well as playing it.

NWN: What specific detail do you love about it?

Gassel: The action. Nothing more can be said about that.

NWN: Has the feeder programs at the Niles District help you succeed in football?

Gassel: In a way, yes. In the getting used to the contact and the playing then it has done its job to help me when I try out for the freshman team. It helped me with my tackling, running, and throwing with the pads on and really got me in shape for football condition. But, the team that I was on last year was not a very good team and really frustrated me because I knew they were not at my level.

NWN: What are your thoughts on this year’s freshman football team?

Gassel: I think this will be the best football team that I have played on yet. We are going to have a winning percentage over .500 and I can feel it.

NWN: Why do you think that?

Gassel: Our coaches are great, we have some of the best hitters, tacklers, some good wide receivers, definitely running backs, and a really good quarterback.

NWN: Have you experienced as much pressure as competing for a starting quarterback position in the past?

Gassel: The somewhat same situation happened last year. I was competing against the same person for the same position, except not as much was on the line because last year we split snaps but this year starter plays most of the year.

NWN: Did you ever think your hard work and practice would get you this far in your football career?

Gassel: Always. I always know what we do in practice will replicate what we do in the game.

NWN: What aspects of practice placed you this far?

Gassel: We would practice every single day of the week. How we practice is how we play. That is where you learn new techniques and you have to carry those skills into game time. Although games are different than practice, if you work hard during practice then you will work hard during the game. If you are lazy in practice, then you will be lazy in the game. That is just how it is.

NWN: Has football, in general, impacted your life in any way?

Gassel: Spent a lot of time in football. Made and lost some money in football. Made friends in football. Anything that had to do with football was a big part of my life.

NWN: Are you considering pursuing football, as a career, in the future?

Gassel: Probably not going to happen.

NWN: Why?

Gassel: The percentage is low. I know that it would take a lot of sacrifice to commit to football and I do not think I am ready for that. There are so many other opportunities that I am good at and are stable careers that I could pursue. Although, if I did make it to the NFL, I would work really hard to stay and become the best I can be.

NWN: What advice would you give to people who are trying to make a football team or any other team?

Gassel: Listen to the coaches and do not give up. If you are running and give up and start walking, you are not only giving up on yourself but you are giving up on your teammates. It’s all about mentality and exceeding your limits.