Freshman Friday: Kalie Athans

The transition from middle school to high school was a big step for freshman, Kalie Athans. Getting involved and making friends wasn’t a problem for Athans, although, finding her way around the large school was the challenging part.

“Walking in on the first day of high school, I was most nervous about getting around from class to class without getting lost. I also expected high school to be a lot like the movie “Mean Girls,” Athans said.

Not too long into the school year, Athans perspective of high school quickly changed. She soon realized that high school wasn’t what she imagined it to be and continues to be excited for what it has to offer.

Older brother, senior Johnny Athans, is by Athans’s side, guiding her on the start of her high school career.

“If I have any questions, I could always go to him to answer them. It’s really fun having him here at West with me. I wish I could be with him for more than just this one year though,” Athans said.

The Athans siblings got each others backs as Athan’s looks up to her older brother Johnny while he watches over her.

“It seems strange seeing my little sister around school. I still think of her as a little girl. Seeing her grow up and change is amazing but also surreal. It’s great because we get to spend more time together now,” Johnny said.

Athans joined cheerleading in middle school and continued her passion on here at Niles West.

“It [cheerleading] is a whole new level at West and I had to learn tumbling. It was difficult for me to get down at first, but it only pushed me to become a better cheerleader,” Athans said.

Athans is also looking to join more activities at West once she settles in.

“There are a bunch of activities that seem fun, but i’d love to join the Niles West News one day,” Athans said.