Freshman Friday: Gina Kostovetsky

There are two types of people in this world: those who enjoy math and those who don’t. Freshman Gina Kostovetsky is one who enjoys math. In fact, while most freshman are taking regular or advanced Geometry, Kostovetsky is taking Honors Precalculus.

Ever since seventh grade, Kostovetsky has been taking honors math courses here at West.

“Technically, I’m a junior, but only in math. Starting in seventh grade, I began taking Honors Geometry here at West. Every day, I would spend first period in a high school level math class and a bus would take me back to Fairview, my middle school at the time, and I would spend the rest of the day there. I continued doing this along with a few other kids, we called them off-level students, through eighth grade, where I took Honors Algebra 2. Honors Precalculus was just the next course I would have to take,” she said.

She is also taking all honors classes and one AP class, AP World History. Kostovetsky has been in advanced academic programs since she was little, which has given her an advantage for the long run.

“Since I was very little, I was always into learning, especially math. I would go to Sunday School, get tutored, and always be in higher math classes. At Fairview, I got placed into something called the SPINOUT Program, which is a type of accelerated learning in Language Arts and Math. Through this program, I was able to get into these off-level math classes, and it also opened up gateways for other things such as standardized testing and contests. Because of these opportunities, I have taken the ACT three times since sixth grade, and the SAT once,” she said.

Her parents have been very beneficial to her academic success.

“My parents play a huge role in my academics. They’re the ones to take definitive action when things get set back, or I need help on some of my work. They try their best to keep me motivated and make sure that all my work gets done,” she said. “I’m really grateful to have parents like them that push me to do my best and do everything in their power to make sure I succeed,” Kostovetsky said.

In addition to her academic work, Kostovetsky is very involved in extracurriculars here at West.

“In the beginning of the year, I played volleyball on the Freshman A team, and we had an undefeated conference season. I’m also really big on music, choir, and theater. I’m currently a part of the Niles West A Capella group ‘Guys & Dolls,’ and [I] am also going to be in the play Annie later this year,” she said.

While math is a passion for Kostovetsky, singing is an even bigger one.

“I’ve been singing since I was a toddler and I’ve always loved music more than anything; it’s probably the biggest passion of mine…more than math, I have to admit. I look forward to being involved both in academics and extracurricular programs over the next four years,” she said.

Just like any other human being, life catches up with Kostovetsky, but in the end, she manages to get back up.

“It gets difficult to manage priorities and responsibilities, especially since I’m a freshman. Many people expect a lot out of me, and I try really hard to impress and please everyone. Sure, life can catch up with me and there can be setbacks, but the important part is to get back on track. As a freshman, you want to do a bit of everything in school, and even though classes can be intense, this is the year to figure out what you really like to do,” she said.