Can’t Help But Falling In Love With The New Priscilla Movie

Priscilla movie poster.
Priscilla movie poster.

Last year, the release of Elvis, starring Austin Butler, navigated life through Elvis Presley’s eyes; however, this year, Priscilla takes the viewers behind the scenes on Priscilla Presley’slife and her relationship with Elvis. Although this movie is about the Presleys’ life, you don’t have to be a fan of Priscilla or Elvis to watch this. It is open to all viewers who either are fans of Jacob Elordi, who plays Elvis, or people who just enjoy history and the unraveling of America’s heart-stopper darkest secrets. For me, watching this movie stemmed from a combination of both.

The movie starts off with Priscilla and how she met Elvis; however, one thing that shocked me and many viewers on TikTok was how young Priscilla was when her and Elvis first met. Priscilla was 14 years old while Elvis was 24. At first, their relationship stemmed from Priscilla being an amazing listener. She would provide Elvis with the comfort needed to get over the loss of his mother; however, their relationship lasted from September 1959 to March 1960 when Elvis left for Germany.

After leaving Germany, the film describes Priscilla’s life without Elvis. Although Elvis wasn’t with her anymore, Priscilla still kept Elvis in her thoughts. She kept up pictures of them together, wrote letters and even purchased magazines featuring Elvis. Even though much time went on without him, she had hoped that he would come back and that’s exactly what he did. In 1962, he asked Priscilla to visit him in Los Angeles.

From there, the rest of the film tells the story of Elvis and Priscilla and their time alone. Elvis would be gone for many weeks due to work while Priscilla stayed home and attended school. In the film, we see Priscilla and Elvis’s communication via phone didn’t contain more than a few slurred sentences before hearing a “good bye I have to go”. As time goes on and Elvis finally comes home, their communication didn’t get any better. Elvis often wanted a lot of time to himself and on the days he didn’t, he would take Priscilla out shopping where he would control her wardrobe and insist on her changing her eye makeup to be darker and her hair blacker. These little “touchups” only got worse and soon enough he would get aggressive and manipulative when he wouldn’t like how Priscilla acted or wore.

Overall, the movie focused on Priscilla’s view on their relationship and how she felt during her time with Elvis. The movie can help shed light on toxic relationships and finding the strength to leave them. Viewers can be inspired and empowered by Priscilla’s character and how she navigates her relationship. This being said, I would rate this movie a 8.5/10.