‘Saltburn’ Made Me Want To Burn My Eyes, But It Was Enjoyable

If you have been scrolling through Tik Tok you may have seen the new trend with people dancing around their house to the song “Murder on the Dance Floor.” This trend has started following the release of the new comedy thriller “Saltburn,” directed by Emerald Fennel. The film stars Barry Keoghan, Jacob Elordi and Rosamund Pike.

Keoghan plays the main character Oliver Quick, a first-year Oxford student looking to make friends. He is lonely and incredibly intelligent, spending his days in the library or reading leisurely. He laid his eyes on Elordi’s character, Felix Catton, and immediately grew fond of his appearance, both physical and social. Felix is tall, attractive, incredibly wealthy and immensely popular. Oliver began to grow an obsession over Felix and after a while of admiring him, he found a way to be able to interact with him. They Quick-ly became friends and soon Felix invited Oliver to stay at his family’s estate, Saltburn, during the summer as he shared about his unfortunate family situation.

As they pulled into Saltburn, Oliver was kindly introduced to Felix’s family. They treated him as his own by throwing a grand birthday party for the boy and accommodating all his needs. Horrifying events then began happening to the Catton family. Through this dark comedy, a mystery occurred, and people began to disappear. What was the cause of all this horror and mystery? Is this what happens to people with money and power?

This movie was very unexpected. What I originally thought would be a love story between Oliver Twist and Felix Catton, quickly turned by surprise. It was spooky, eerie, incredibly weird, but in it all was a very good film. The film was a beautiful depiction of obsession and the lengths one would go to get what one wants. It started off a bit slow, less action and dialogue, and when events began to occur it was too much to handle. I loved this. As many moments made me want to look away, it was still a film that I could not take my eyes off of. The two-hour film flew by in a flash and I was left in complete and utter shock. I recommend watching this film without food if you are queasy or sensitive because as someone who does not get queasy easily, I felt nauseous at times.

If you are interested in watching, “Saltburn” is included with Amazon Prime.